• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

So, that's where you're all hiding.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fettler

Morning, all.

So my quick googling revealed this new forum - good to see so many familiar names here!

For those of you into mysteries, the wife often refers to me as The Husband and I almost used it as my username. Of course, that works in most cases, but I thought about AdamT or one of the other chaps posting something like well the husband says.... and my plan fell apart... :)

Anyway, Fettler seemed appropriate given my current work, so Im going with that...for now, at least!

Now all I have to do is remember yet another password and Ill be a-joining in.

Looks like a fun place to be :)

Welcome Fettler.
Nice to meet you here.
I don't think that we have been hiding as such, well not that I know of.

The above-mentioned wife who refers to him as The Husband will be me, by the way. Fettler is the man who fixes my accordion when vigorous Morris playing has wrenched out the strap bracket & sent it flying during a spirited rendition of Cock of the North (yes, really)...

AAaaahhhhhhhhhhhh - I was wondering who it was ... Welcome Moleman :)

I`ll avoid a Joke at Anyanka about German women with big muscles gained from carrying trays at Beer festivals ..... :lol:

Anyanka said:
I'm from the other end of the country, anyway. The fishwife end...

I`m DEFINATELY Steering clear of Jokes on that count :lol: ......

I'm curious as to meaning of the word "Fettler". One who fixes things ? How did it originate ?

Here in the US a man that maintains the rails or tracks on a railroad is called a gandy dancer. I've been told that in the UK a fettler performs the same tasks. Is that correct ??? JIM D.

Geez Jim, my dad was a section foreman for the MK&T railroad, he retired after 48 years with the "Katy" . I never heard the term Gandy Dancer, if my dad was familiar with it I'm sure he wouldn't have ever repeated it either.

Hi Don; I have a few friends that have retired from the railroad and are proud of the title Gandy dancer. Info on these terms can be found here -- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandy-dancer -- and http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fettler JIM D.

Hi A fettler in British industry cleans up/prepares an item for the next stage in a process - typically castings or pottery/tiles - also used for minor corrections/repairs/adjustment - "it can be fettled".

In Squeezebox land a Fettler is a repairer and restorer of boxes . A term used all the time on Melnet - Prime examples of fettlers are Mike Rowbotham, Martyn White, Theo Gibb and Lester Bailey ......

A lot of Melnetters fix their own boxes (do their own fettling) to keep them on the road and even (like myself) buy faulty or dilapidated ones to fix up to keep the cost down but when something major is needed like a full re-tune then it`s off to a professional.. some full time fettlers started up this way (Lester for example) , some even went on to build their own complete boxes (not PAs or CBAs of course, we`re talking melodeons here) ....

Fettling Squeezeboxes is a very useful craft to learn, for example Moleman keeps Anyanka's PAs on the road, I ended up with a couple of very nice boxes on the cheap due to being able to fix them . it saves piles of money . some people are better at doing bits better than others -
EG:- I only do my own boxes and I`ll do leaks & Sealing, casework cracks, cosmetics including retro restorations, mechanics repairs, Reed Waxing, valve replacement and Pallet facings but the only tuning I`ll do is odd sour notes and the only bellows repairs I`ll do is one or two tapes or re-glueing the odd loose corner - is a full taping is needed I send the bellows to Lester Bailey and pay him to do it.

According to my dictionary here it's N English usage, assume that means North? and comes from Middle English with specific/original meaning "prepare for battle."

donn said:
According to my dictionary here its N English usage, assume that means North? and comes from Middle English with specific/original meaning prepare for battle.
Could well be, Donn, although its use is probably wider nowadays than intnorth. Get into shape; make ready for use seems to be the common theme.

Thought you'd spot it, Adam..!
The moleman tag felt a bit tired and "other forummy" so following a little deliberation, Fettler it is for now. Need to get back to the workshop soon, got some boxes to fix!
BR
Martin.

Don Roberts said:
Im curious as to meaning of the word Fettler. One who fixes things ? How did it originate ?

My earliest recollection of the term comes from my engineering background; fettling referred to the process of taking a rough-cast item (pottery, pig-iron, resin, plaster, etc.) and clean off the excess bits from the moulding process. Since then, it seems to have been adopted as a general description of the work to bring something from rough condition to finished condition. Maybe the term in fine fettle stems from here, I dont know. Anyway, other than making new instruments, fettling old ones is of keen interest to me, hence the handle.

Incidentally, the term was also used (by others) in my previous employ; I never really reconciled fettling with Telecommunications!

Well thank everyone for the explanation, I guess I'm a fettler of sorts as I do "tinker around" with various accordions.
I can't always say that when I'm finished there is a great improvement.
I did buy a Hohner C#/D that had been fettled since in its new (asian) condition it wouldn't have hardley been playable. Now with the tuning being cleaned up and the button depth worked over, its not a bad box ;)

Adam, what's keeping you from doing your own tuning? You've covered pretty much everything else so it seems the next logical step.. :tup:

That`s a good question, I guess its having to make a tuning bench along with being the one thing which can screw up a box totally as well as it being the next most time consuming task to bellows taping. I do the odd note here and there (in the reedblocks) but the thought of doing a whole box is daunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back