• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Shipping Accordions - packaging and overseas Shipments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike K

Reaction score
I posted one of my Giuietti accordions on Facebook for sale. (need to post it here also) Getting lots of responses but most from overseas. I am located in Virginia, USA. was looking for advise on:
- How to package an accordion to safely ship it? Best methods or companies to ship it?
- How to guarantee payment and insure I do not get ripped off?
- How to handle import fees, customs or whatever regulations cover this type of thing?
- Any countries to avoid shipment to because of issues?

Thanks

I've shipped a few, but I'm not an expert, and only within the US. I've heard that the bass section falling is one thing to watch for when shipping. I always opened the bass side and put cardboard under the bass button levers, so that the buttons cannot be depressed. I also take some blue painters tape (after unsticking it a bit on my pants) and put it across all the bass buttons.

Sorry I can't help with the other questions.

I've shipped a few, but I'm not an expert, and only within the US. I've heard that the bass section falling is one thing to watch for when shipping. I always opened the bass side and put cardboard under the bass button levers, so that the buttons cannot be depressed. I also take some blue painters tape (after unsticking it a bit on my pants) and put it across all the bass buttons.

Sorry I can't help with the other questions.
Thanks. Have a person in Belgium really interested and I have heard him play. Some beautiful music, would love to get it to him but the shipping worries me. Also have someone in northern VA interested. That would be great as it is only two hours away and we could easily meet somewhere.

I have had three accordions shipped to me but have never shipped one myself. A shop near me (The House of Musical Traditions) does offer some advice on their website about how to ship that I think is worth looking at:

I have had three accordions shipped to me but have never shipped one myself. A shop near me (The House of Musical Traditions) does offer some advice on their website about how to ship that I think is worth looking at:
Interestingly, I did find that site when I was looking for info and it was helpful. Have you had any repair work done there? I have had my other accordion worked on by someone in VA, but there is still some problems they have not fixed properly after two tries. Couple reeds just not sounding right.

I have only used Busso/Deffner (in Alexandria, VA) for maintenance and repairs. I have never used HMT. I think that neither shop actually has a repair person on staff but rather is affiliated with an independent expert they use for all their repair work. Both Busso and HMT are certainly reputable establishments, so I don’t think you would need to be concerned about using either. However, Frank Busso is thoroughly knowledgeable about all aspects of accordions, while the person who was HMT’s accordion expert has, I believe, retired for the most part so they do not have as much staff experience anymore.

I have only used Busso/Deffner (in Alexandria, VA) for maintenance and repairs. I have never used HMT. I think that neither shop actually has a repair person on staff but rather is affiliated with an independent expert they use for all their repair work. Both Busso and HMT are certainly reputable establishments, so I don’t think you would need to be concerned about using either. However, Frank Busso is thoroughly knowledgeable about all aspects of accordions, while the person who was HMT’s accordion expert has, I believe, retired for the most part so they do not have as much staff experience anymore.
I have tried to contact Busso numerous times by email and get no reply. I looked on Google map at his "store" and it looks like an industrial warehouse area. Is he open regular hours? Would like to stop by sometime. Just wondering if I have the right place. hate driving to NOVA and do not want to go there and cannot find it.

Yes, unfortunately his “store” is really in a nondescript warehouse in the midst of an industrial wasteland. The first time I went there I drove through the area and circled around it multiple times before I gradually zeroed in on his unit.

When I last met Mr. Busso (which was before the pandemic) the store did not have regular hours, but was open by appointment only. From what I saw, most of the store traffic consisted of students, coming for accordion lessons.

I posted one of my Giuietti accordions on Facebook for sale. (need to post it here also) Getting lots of responses but most from overseas. I am located in Virginia, USA. was looking for advise on:
- How to package an accordion to safely ship it? Best methods or companies to ship it?
- How to guarantee payment and insure I do not get ripped off?
- How to handle import fees, customs or whatever regulations cover this type of thing?
- Any countries to avoid shipment to because of issues?

Thanks
I’ve purchased two new Beltunas from Castiglione in the past that were shipped over 2,000 miles. John Castiglione would not ship an accordion inside it’s case.
The accordion was sealed in a plastic bag and then placed in an oversized carton that was filled with packing peanuts. The bass buttons were stabilized with cardboard beneath the rods. The case was shipped separately.
Both accordions arrived in perfect condition.

Shipping overseas is not just a problem of proper packing and ensuring you don't get ripped off, but is also a major headache to deal with import duties and other taxes. My recommendation is to physically meet the person from northern VA.
There are plenty of used accordions to be found in Belgium and neighboring countries (like the Netherlands), including Giulietti. Why should you complicate things when there is no need to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back