• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Selling your 'other' accordion on commission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So - you can try it on here for free in our 'For Sale' but I believe your accordion can be marketed on a commission basis using some enterprises.

I know The Music Room does it. Anybody know the details of the commission arrangements offered by them?

The Music Room and Hobgoblin both do commission sales but both charge a breathtaking 33% for the Privelage which pushes the price to unrealistic levels if you want a decent amount back , that`s why both have loads of Commission sale stuff on their shelves - they charge this partly because they provide a warranty, I feel this is unrealistic for Boxes which are easily and cheaply fixed most of the time .

they need to grade the percentage rating for commission charged on Musical instruments - Theo charges 15% at the Box Place which IMO is about right for anything Acoustic squeezable or other cheaply fixed acoustic instruments and save the 33% for expensive to fix acoustics (like Harpsichords or Pianolas) and Electronic stuff like Synths and the Roland FR series .

Both TMR and Hobgob have decent Part-Ex departments (and I feel offer sensible prices) and I`d suggest making use of that instead or sell the box on here or Melnet . PAs do fare better than Melodeons on E-Bay but I don`t feel this is the best place to sell squeezeboxes of any kind other than genuine collectors pieces - can be a great place to buy if you fix your own stuff though.

Its the same problem with eBay. The high eBay/Paypal fees mean you have to sell for a higher price than you want to. I stopped selling on eBay. I now use eBid and Preloved. They take longer to sell which is OK if you are not in a hurry. I have a PianoBox2 on both of them and just leave it there, there's no time limit or extra costs and no commisions.

goldtopia said:
Its the same problem with eBay. The high eBay/Paypal fees mean you have to sell for a higher price than you want to. I stopped selling on eBay. I now use eBid and Preloved. They take longer to sell which is OK if you are not in a hurry. I have a PianoBox2 on both of them and just leave it there, theres no time limit or extra costs and no commisions.
Thanks Bill. Good info, I didnt know they were free. To be fair to ebay, real auctions charge loads more without doing a whole lot more for it, either. Like 15 % sellers fee + a (similar!) buyers fee + shipping + credit card surcharges!

Good info Adam, thanks. Got a link for Theo's webby?

I wonder if JimD offers a similar service in the US?
And what about John Douglas Music in bonny Scotland?

Soulsaver said:
Good info Adam, thanks. Got a link for Theos webby?

Here`s Theo :) . He`s really more melodeon oriented but will gladly put up a PA or CBA for you I`m sure .

http://www.theboxplace.co.uk

goldtopia said:
Its the same problem with eBay. The high eBay/Paypal fees mean you have to sell for a higher price than you want to. I stopped selling on eBay. I now use eBid and Preloved. They take longer to sell which is OK if you are not in a hurry. I have a PianoBox2 on both of them and just leave it there, theres no time limit or extra costs and no commisions.
Thanks Bill. Good info, I didnt know they were free. To be fair to ebay, real auctions charge loads more without doing a whole lot more for it, either. Like 15 % sellers fee + a (similar!) buyers fee + shipping + credit card surcharges![/quote]and with a much smaller audience, too.

Though the audience is smaller, it is growing. If you are in a hurry to sell then use eBay but it cost you and theres the time limit and it may not sell. Ebid and Preloved you can leave on for ever without being charged for it. Preloved asks you every two weeks if you want to take your selling item off or to leave it on. You just tick yes to leave on and theres no charge.

Sorry, Bill, what you say is true - but I meant 'REAL' auctions charge much more than ebay AND with a much smaller audience - not the Ebid or Preloved.
Ebid seems to feature just about one accordion seller at the mo' - lots of accordions... and ALL way over priced.

i was considering e bid for selling and had a quick look and it seemed to mention a life time registration fee of £50 to £74 odd - i thought it was free to use

smdc66 said:
i was considering e bid for selling and had a quick look and it seemed to mention a life time registration fee of £50 to £74 odd - i thought it was free to use
Y I thought free, too. Do you HAVE to register to sell?
Bill (Goltopia) will be along soon and will give us the detail.
Gumtree?

i expect you would need to register with all sites that are reputable

smdc66 said:
i expect you would need to register with all sites that are reputable
Good point - but doesnt it seem to stop the disreputable registering... :tdown:

Its free Dave - casual sellers fee 3% of final value - but you can upgrade to Seller+ and take out upto a life reg. avoiding final value fees, for the fees you mentioned..
Detail here: http://uk.ebid.net/help_money.php

eBid is free to list. You dont have to pay to be a lifetime member. If you sell there is a small charge for the sale, Yes, I think about 3%. I have not had a look at Gumtree yet, but I will. Are there any charges on it ?.

goldtopia said:
eBid is free to list. You dont have to pay to be a lifetime member. If you sell there is a small charge for the sale, Yes, I think about 3%. I have not had a look at Gumtree yet, but I will. Are there any charges on it ?.
#

think i may put my p/a for sale on ebid for experiences ( to sum up its free to list as a casual seller and there are final commission fees like e bay (once registered)) and share them
:geek:

Soulsaver said:
Good info Adam, thanks. Got a link for Theos webby?

Here`s Theo :) . He`s really more melodeon oriented but will gladly put up a PA or CBA for you I`m sure .

http://www.theboxplace.co.uk [/quote]

Yes indeed I will sell PAs as well as melodeons and concertinas. I charge 15% commission on completion of a sale. I also check over the instrument and will recommend if any work is needed to prepare the instrument for sale.

Theo said:
Yes indeed I will sell PAs as well as melodeons and concertinas. I charge 15% commission on completion of a sale. I also check over the instrument and will recommend if any work is needed to prepare the instrument for sale.

thats helpful. would this only really work well in practice though if someone is within driving distance of gateshead ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back