• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

SEACROFT SPRING ACCORDION FESTIVAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy

Hello everybody I have received in the post today the flyer for Accordion Profile's Spring Accordion Festival and have attached it here for everyone to see. If you have not been to Seacroft before you truly have missed out on a spectacular event. I have been to lots of other Festivals am not impressed by the second rate players (Harry Hussey excluded)and not very good orchestra rehearsals and wartime sing-along's I am now only going to Heather Smith's in future as the other ones that I have been to seem to be really amateur affairs. If you are really interested in the Accordion surely you would want to see top class international players. I am really looking forward to hearing OIVIND FARMEN (Norway) & LARS KARLSSON (Sweden) who have been described by Gary Blair (in a post on facebook) as brilliant. This will be a one off opportunity to hear these two world class players live in the UK, and meet them at the Festival.

Attachments

• Spring flyer.jpg
    Spring flyer.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 1,166
Never a good plan to try cutting others down in an attempt to make yourself look bigger.....

Just been to Eastbourne Festival, it was superb. . . top players and wonderful music. Really
good workshops. Fun, well run and in aHotel (so you don't have to trudge out in the cold
to get to a concert!) Whoever 'Andy' is, he's talking nonsense! :b

Loshobos & Zizzi you both obviously have never heard any world class players such as Art Van Damme (USA), Frank Marocco (USA), Murl Allen Sanders (USA), Vladimir Ushakov (Russia), Svetlania Stavitskaya (Russia), Alexander Dmitriev (Russia), Vitaly Dmitriev (Russia), Barbara Ann Martindale (Canada), Giancarlo Caporilli (Italy), Gennaro Ruffolo (Italy), Gianni Mirizzi (Italy) Ksenija Sidorovo (Latvia), Martynas Levickis (Lithuania), Pietro Adragna (Italy), Christiano Lui (Italy), Alexander Korbakov (Russia), Lars Ek (Sweden) Paris Moscow Duo (France & Russia), Jean Louis Noton (France), Peter Soave( USA), etc.etc.etc. And not forgetting Heather herself who was British Champion and Runner up World Champion. These are some of the Artists that have appeared in recent years at Accordion Profile's Festivals, I would bet you could not name an artist of the calibre of these artists that have appeared at any other UK Accordion festival. QED

Andy

Oh yes I have , all of them! Don't denigrate other festivals like this, it is not acceptable.

Hello Andy,

Of course people want to hear first class players, but it is shocking to deride enthusiastic amateurs in the way that you do.

My background is in folk music, and I am perfectly happy to listen to any inexperienced player who has the guts to perform in front of his peers. I know a lot of excellent folk musicians who devote their time and energy into music workshops for inexperienced musicians.

Just like zizzi, I find your post unacceptable and high-handed.

Stephen.

You may have heard of them as they are world famous , but you still can' t answer my question.
All I am saying is if that's what you prefer best of luck, I prefer to see world class players.
Andy

Andy post_id=55479 time=1518734151 user_id=677 said:
Loshobos & Zizzi you both obviously have never heard any world class players ....., I would bet you could not name an artist of the calibre of these artists that have appeared at any other UK Accordion festival. QED

Andy
Careful Andy or you may lose this bet too.....

Ill be frank now as id decided to be polite before and just suggested that cutting others down does not make yourself look bigger...
I know WHO you are...i also know that the only time you ever post on this forum/ and on Johnny Kerry Accordion Cafe before is coincidentaly on the same day Heather posts her festival adverts....when we met in person you described the other festival organisers as the enemy...so come on man grow up a bit and dont take us all for fools...
I have been to one of Heathers festivals and i did enjoy the format...some of the acts were ropey and not world class but i learnt plenty and had a fair time...
i didnt attend Eastbourne last weekend as sadly Harry Hussey is recovering from a major operation and was unable to attend...and he is the main world class act that draws me..
i had hoped that he would be recovered by september and playing at your Autumn festival but to be honest your behaviour has left a bad taste in my mouth and i wont be throwing my cash on the table to support the likes of you...
P.S. the best act at your festival was actually the body popping, hip hopping, break dancing table waiter who received a standing ovation and a healthy tip from our table.. (Gary Blair, the Bennets, Harry Hussey, Paris Moscow duo) when we left.
Best you run along now and reassess your gameplan......

Players? . . . . How about Oleg Sharov, Jack Emblow, Stefan Andrusyschyn, Paul Chamberlain
Gianluca Campi, Gennaro Fiondella etc etc etc Also . . . . sorry to sink to your level Andy but . . .
being locked in to a Holiday Camp with wire fences like a Gulag, with nowhere to pop out for a decent coffee and a bun is not fun. The last time I went to one of 'your' festivals I was obliged to have a grotty chalet because I'm not allowed to have the top one I'm prepared to pay for as I do not wish to share . . .(discrimination at it's worst) my room and bathroom were filthy, the 'food' was unbelievably disgusting and the acts allowed to overrun with silly additions of Hymns, Ballroom dancing and ghastly singing. Grow up and behave. Enough.

Andy post_id=55483 time=1518740658 user_id=677 said:
You may have heard of them as they are world famous , but you still can t answer my question.
All I am saying is if thats what you prefer best of luck, I prefer to see world class players.
Andy
Well, heres to them being able to afford world-class promotion in future. This isnt.

Ok guys .................. I think the point has been made. Enough please.

Accordion festivals in the UK are always going to be a fairly niche affair, and do well to put on any kind of programme at all given the economics of the whole thing.

I have been a few of the festivals for a couple of days and enjoyed them, but never to the Mundesley/Seacroft ones, partly because they're too far away for me and I don't really want to stay in a holiday camp for a week (lack of any up-to-date information online is another factor). But mainly because I would have to take an entire week's holiday off work (I know many accordion players are retired but some of us are of young-to-middle age!). I imagine a weekend would be more convenient for a much greater number of people.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that I really do like to watch world-class players, I have to say that this kind of shoddy promotion has not done much to convince me I should make the effort to attend.

Hi Andy,

I rarely reply to social media posts however this is one of those rare times that I feel a post warrants a comment as I get a strong feeling yours is directly aimed at me and mine. Therefore there are a few things that for the sake of clarity I feel need to be said.

1) In my opinion if you are going to make comments you should be brave enough to put your real name to them (even though we know who you are).

2) You have never been to one of our festivals, have no experience of them and therefore are in no position to judge the quality of our events.

3) If you had any serious knowledge of the UK accordion scene you would know UK players of any standard are hard to find. I am proud to support many of them as this is for the benefit of the ‘accordion world’ that many of us love and support. You refer to the international players as if they were the only good players worth listening to. That is highly insulting to many great UK musicians and shows either your bias or lack of knowledge. Are you really suggesting that the likes of Paul Chamberlain, Stefan Andrusyschyn, Ian Watson, Gary Blair, myself etc are not worth listening to?

4) You imply that all we do is have wartime sing-alongs at our shows. Again you obviously speak from a point of ignorance. Music at our Eastbourne Accordion Festival last weekend ranged from folk to jazz, classical to world and electronic accordion music that included War of the Worlds, Oxygene and more. By no measure can you call that old fashioned!

5) While I am at it, FYI, I also wish to point out we have supported Heather for many years having subscribed to her magazine and advertised her festivals on AccordionCentral.com website. I think it is a great shame that she has never willingly supported us for the good of the accordion fraternity and worse now has you posting insults on her behalf in the hope you might get a bit more trade.

6) I stand by our production values, which consistently get incredibly high ratings from our guests. These are just a few things I am very proud of. Our hotel venues are clean and comfortable. The quality of meals always rates as excellent. We allow day and weekend visitor passes. We do not charge our traders for trade space, EVER. We pay ALL our concert artistes and at minimum cover all board and lodging of our teachers. We programme our concert sets so artistes know when to play and guests know what is happening during our shows. We bring ALL our own lighting, staging, audio & video production including big screens either side of our stage. Our production levels are second to none!

7) I think it is important to note your comments also insult the guest players that play in the orchestras. In case you forget, guests pay everyone’s wages, how dare you pick fault with those that spend their hard earned money with us, it again shows your ignorance in the matter. Further you insult some of the most respected accordion teachers in the country and I suggest you now owe an apology to Angie Lukins, Sammie Catling, Gennaro Fiondella, Jean Hanger, Ian Watson, Julie North, Nigel Pasby, Rosemary Wright, to mention just a few of our teachers

8) Artistes already booked and advertised for 2019 include The Paris Moscow Duo (2nd visit to our events) and Gianluca Campi (3rd visit to our events). I cannot currently tell you more than that at the moment as I do not post artiste names up until they are confirmed. Again are you really questioning our standard? I suggest you look at the long list of ‘world class’ players that we have booked since 2003 to see the high quality of our festivals.

9) You might also be interested to know I am also a British Accordion Champion and have been a professional accordion entertainer since 1979, if you still question my ability to run an event I would be more than happy to discuss the matter with you.

10) I invite you to either openly make clear that in no way are any of your comments aimed at our festivals. If this is the case and I have got the wrong end of the stick (something I seriously doubt), my comments above will not apply. However your comments pretty much speak for themselves and others on this forum certainly seem to think so as well. I think you should apologise profusely and suggest that Heather might also like to disassociate herself from your comments.

I would be more than happy to book a room for Heather and yourself for Eastbourne 2019, then you would see some top class accordion players, some great orchestras and just generally experience how WE do things around here!

Finally I would invite you to ponder on this. I have been fortunate enough to meet some fabulous accordionists in my time as a professional musician and many would give up everything for the instrument they love. Our accordion world is too small in the UK and we should all be doing our best to promote it, not rip it down. However all to long there have been people trying to milk our business for everything they can get. There are too many that want to stick the boot in to those whose interests are pure. There are also those that just want their fifteen minutes of fame. Which are you?

There has been a lot said of the quality of players on an accordion festival. Now of course I cannot speak for anybody else, least of all for UK players.

Nevertheless I am curious whether the level of performances is indeed what motivates people with a playing background to visit. I know that I am fairly untypical with regard to consuming music as my basic interest in much music is to get a feeling for how I'd like to perform it, so I actually listen a whole lot less to music than most other people I know.

So for gettogethers of accordionists for me it is much more relevant how good the teachers at those events are in the categories where I am able to get a foot on the ground. Those whose playing suggests to me "I could do that if I worked hard on it" and who are working with other participants. There is hardly any overlap with "worldclass players" in that category (for someone at my skill level), and I think staying for a week just listening to brilliant performances would start getting on my nerves after a while: I can't really focus intensively on music for that long and just using it as a backdrop to get tipsy or in other ways relaxed seems like doing it an injustice.

I've been at a few gettogethers of accordionists in Germany (definitely nothing that would be called "festival" though) and exchange of experiences, playing together and separately, getting inspired, checking out other's instruments and approaches to them and so on (and doing some performances together) as well as taking a look at basic repair jobs has been the focus of those.

Is a festival in contrast more intended to attract listeners rather than active players? If so, wouldn't festivals focused on particular music styles rather than one instrument be better catering to the average audience?

Geronimo post_id=55530 time=1518898018 user_id=2623 said:
Ive been at a few gettogethers of accordionists in Germany (definitely nothing that would be called festival though) and exchange of experiences, playing together and separately, getting inspired, checking out others instruments and approaches to them and so on (and doing some performances together) as well as taking a look at basic repair jobs has been the focus of those.

that just about sums up how we interpret Accordion festival plus good performers to entertain/inspire us in the evenings..

And Yes the other paying attendees are often more of an influence on my playing/progression than world class players playing a style I have little passion for..

Hello Everyone
Firstly I must point out that I am in no way connected in any way to Seacroft Accordion Festival or Accordion Profile Magazine, as far as I know the whole thing is completely a solo effort from Heather Smith, the only connection that I have is that I have attended her festivals for more than 20 years, and I am so impressed with her efforts that I occasionally write a comment in support of her work. I think that Heather has done more than anyone to promote the accordion in this country by trying to bring it to peoples attention that it is a serious musical instrument not as a lot of people believe only for accompanying people singing in bomb shelters and Morris Dancers. She has done this by bringing the top players in the world to this country, and I think if anyone does the maths you will quickly realise that it is a labour of love not profit. In my post I only mentioned the international players that she has had here not the UK ones as all the best UK players have appeared as well.
Loshobos as far as I know I don't know who you are and have never had a conversation with you and have never heard of Accordion Café or John Kerry I am also puzzled as how I am trying to make myself look bigger, all I am saying is what I prefer to see. The thing that made me smile most in your post was that you thought that a waiter doing a silly dance was a better act than say The Paris Moscow Duo, Harry Hussey, Giancarlo Caporilli, Gennarro Ruffolo etc. I think that says a lot.
John Romero I will have to turn down your offer of a room with Heather as I don't think her Husband would be very pleased. as far as I can remember all the good UK artists that you have mentioned plus lots more (Jack Emblow, Tony Compton Stefan and Denise Jovan, Alan etc.etc.) have all appeared at Heathers Festivals. I am sorry if I have upset anyone by my opinions but you will get over it in time.

I hope that this the end of this rather tedious exchange

Andy

In the 80’s I went to a few accordion festivals; I have no idea who organised them, & it wasn’t important. They may have been organised by the British College of Accordionists, because I recall the facility to purchase examination pieces of music for exams by their own publishing company. Composers & examiners from the R.C. A. such as RenaLdo Capaldi & G. Romani are now deceased, but their work lingers on in Charnwood Publishers , still a working company today.

The composers from Charnwood Publishers took an active part in procedures, they held workshops, group classes, & were generally available, especially to us newcomers to the scene, who were greatly in awe of the Mightiness of their talent.

Competitions were also held, either in age groups or as individual performances, I remember judges Renaldo & Capaldi being very kind, informative & encouraging to everyone entering. The festivals took on the ambiance of a real family affair; I was very comfortable in this new environment & content to soak in any information these knowledgeable Giants offered. I think, possibly, Rosemary Wright could be the only remaining member of the ‘Old school’ alive today.

One of my most cherished possessions from that time is a signed folder of music by various composers who have been such an influence on my learning journey.

I don’t recall, & wouldn’t have been impressed by’ World Class Performances' The ‘concerts’ performed by Capaldi, Romani & others were quite sufficient & inspirational.

These were active weekends, where like minded people came together to meet each other through a mutual love of a hobby, to learn, relax & enjoy.

I personally resist the modern accordion festivals held today; I have a notion that ‘showing off skills’ & 'the hotel bar' could be more of a draw than encouragement of an active involvement from the individual. In any case, the nostalgia of those early experiences would only be a comparison, & I would rather hang on to that joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.