• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Scandalli super 6 bass fingerboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinm

Reaction score
I have to remove some of the back two rows of pistons because they are sticking, i have got the 4 rows of chord pistons out but cannot remove the 2 bass rows, anyone know an easy way to do it, or a difficult way.
Cm

thanks jim,yes, I have got a rack, and I have numbered every piston with pencil and every fingerboard hole
all the pistons are out , the chords came through the bottom, but I could only get the bass notes out by removing the fingerboard, should the bass notes come out and go in through the bottom or the fingerboard, accordion revival is not model specific
I think it will be impossible to refit the pistons without the fingerboard in place
cm

Hi again Colinm:
I replied to you last Eve. but checking this thread this Morn. I find my reply is missing for whatever reason.
So here go's again --
On most well made Italian box's removing the chord rows from the bottom with the fingerboard on is done with at times just some wiggling. When it comes to the removing of the bass pistons, I try removing them from the bottom of the fingerboard but, in some cases there is no wiggle room to remove them and the fingerboard needs to be removed. When reassembling the bass pistons, replace the fingerboard but don't fasten it as it will give you more wiggle room to work with. With the bass pistons in, fasten the fingerboard, and then replace the chord pistons from the bottom of the fingerboard.
Let us know how you make out :tup:

I have removed all the pistons, there was some dirt in some of the bottom slides, so i have cleaned all the slides.

The finger board is secured with four aluminium brackets, these were loose so the finger board was not stable
The fingerboard is located in a recess in the bass end and when it is fitted in there the bracket screw holes do not line up.

I do not know exactly where the fingerboard should fit ,however if i can find a position where all the pistons are free I would prefer to add spacers to the recess so that the fingerboard is not able to move, and then use the aluminium clips to secure it, is this how it should be?

To set the fingerboard up i need to know how far the buttons should protrude through the finger board, is there a recommended dimension please ?

Is there a better way of doing this ?
Cm

The bass pistons went in from under the fingerboard before it was fastened down.
The chord buttons went in with the fingerboard fastened, the mounting brackets were straightened and refitted, all very fiddly
Buttons are all free now.

Cannot find any new black treble keys to fit, so will have to try refinishing
Cm

Sorry, off topic - I was just revisiting this post when I realised, whilst we know the story of the sale of the CM super VI, we didn't get any info on the purchase. Come on Colin, spill.. when & how did you acquire said legendary instrument?
Maybe in another thread so as not to disrupt this one?

I acquired it about a month ago after monitoring ebay, gumtree, preloved, marktplaats etc for about 2 years and making several unsuccessful bids.
I saw on ebay an instrument which i thought had been on sale for several years at a very high price but was now a high price and i made a reasonable offer sight unseen because i cannot be bothered to traipse down to london, this offer was accepted but it turned out that the instrument was nor the one i thought but was an instrument which i had sold several years ago
The cosmetic condition was poor, the seller did offer me my money back, but i think i can do mechanical jobs and cosmetics, not tuning, it says concert instrument on the reed blocks so i think they should be original
I have sorted thr bass pistons which was s nightmare, thank jim for your tip.
I need a scandalli badge it says "marotta" on the existing badge ? and up to a full set of black key tops, if i cant get key tops i will have ro refinish the existing ones
Then its just polishing
Cm

I can make you a Scandalli badge to fit if you care. As for the key tops see here --- http://frment.com/keyboard/accordion-key-tops/ ---
and determine what you might need and get back to me. The tops come from a Wholesaler but I can order them and make you a kit to install them your self.

Thanks for the interesting story. Which Scandalli badge Colin? The script or the emblem? I think the emblem can still be bought from their agent in Scotland, for about £40. If JIm is making you one I assume hes making the script. Is it the earlier one?

Attachments

• scandalli VI & screws50s acc.jpg
    scandalli VI & screws50s acc.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 1,046
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back