• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland MIDI output into music software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Butcher

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another lazy question but I couldn't make head or tail of the manual in this area.

Now I think you should be able to play the Roland MIDI output into a computer and the computer's music software should be able to turn it into a score (if it can understand MIDI which ours does).

Can this be done? (If I just need to try a bit harder and read a certain section of the manual, do feel free to direct me that way...) Thanks, Matt.

There are some kits that will allow you to mate midi signals to your computer. Amazon UK has some attachments just go to the site a type in usb to midi . JIM D.

Thank you, I never thought of looking.

Most USB audio interfaces have midi input. There are loads on the market starting at pretty reasonable prices and you have added advantage if a half decent audio interface as well.

Idle question maybe from me too - but not stated in the manual AFAICS- the ones I see on amazon et al are to 2 x 5 pin plugs - Roland looks like a nine pin combined in and out socket. What plug am I looking for usb to what? 9 pin DIN?

Maplins......look at the Maplins web site .....and I don't mean "Hi-de-Hi" Maplins either :roll:

I don't have a Roland but i assume there is a special lead that goes from the 9 pin to two 5 pin DIN ( 2x4 plus one common earth).

jarvo said:
Maplins......look at the Maplins web site .....and I dont mean Hi-de-Hi Maplins either :roll:
Neither helped - I need to know what its called to search. Prob ask Roland or Yahoo groups and have to sign up for loads of junk mail...:(

Honestly I have never thought about it. The last time I plugged my JV-1080 into my roland fr 3x I used the same cable that I used to plug in my Elkavox. It was just the standard round midi connector cable.
Ben

Search for "audio interface PC".
Something like an Alesus IO2 or something from Edirol.
These devices are well under £100 and have excellent audio inputs and usually some pretty nifty recording software.

It's the pic in the manual - its not the same as reality on the box itself. Its actually a 5 pin din -so should be no trouble. Should have checked earlier, sorry.

Can't get much cheaper than that Jarvo. Well spotted.
This must do the job without doubt for someone only needing a MIDI interface.
Cheap as chips in my opinion.

Brilliant, looks like what I need, thank you.

When you get to READ the linked item it 'isn't available to purchase' on that site, now.

Soulsaver said:
When you get to READ the linked item it isnt available to purchase on that site, now.

You have to watch these guys :hb ....but look down the list below there may well be something else there !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back