• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland FR-18 Diatonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nathen

I'm wondering if anyone here has played the Fr-18. When I came back to the accordion a couple of years ago, I always admired Jimmy Shands music in the fifties and wanted to play his music down the road. Especially the Shand Morino.

Well now umpteen years later, I'm going to. I played the piano for forty years on and off, and I now have three pa's that I love. But I really want a buttonbox as well.

I had thought of getting a cba, but I have thought it out carefully over the past years and realise that a diatonic is the way for me to go. My first instrument as a ten year old was a diatonic harmonica, and found I had a talent for it and could play almost any tune by ear almost immediately. This might help me in playing a diatonic box. Maybe, it might be some indication that I'm diatonically inclined inclined, or not.

Anyway, I've been looking specifically at BCCsharp boxes. The ones I want are not cheap, Manfrini Aria for example, a modern day Shand Morino. However, I discovered the Roland Fr-18 which for its price seems to be the best of all worlds for the moment. So until I actually get a diatonic I'm going to get the tutor books ahead of time.

I googled the Fr-18 and was quite impressed with the demos of it. 11lbs 11oz is looking good.

I recently joined the bccsharp buttonbox forum. I don't want my first post to make a wrong impression by talking about digital boxes until I see how the land lies. George, any ideas about the Fr-18, or bringing it up on the other forum.

If anyone else has any comments I'd appreciate it. I do have the Fr-3s so I'm familiar with Rolands. I also had a digital Roland piano some time ago. I still want to experience playing a Shand sounding diatonic box.

nathen

Unless things have changed, the FR18 has a tablature for BC but not BCC#.
Have a look on the FR18 thread on Melnet... pm me if you'd be interested in a cheap BCC# ... I have far too many diatonic boxes!
I may not have wifi access from tomorrow until Friday.

Whilst I have no doubt that Rolaand piano and continental boxes are pretty good if you like electronic stuff I found the FR18 'diatonic' to be an abomination!

When it first came out Rolands own factory trained demonstrator was on one of the festival music stalls. I asked him to set it up as a BCC# (treble only) he farted about for half an hour and got nowhere so I said I would come back the following day which I did. I don't know what he had set it up as but it certainly wasn't BCC#.

To be fair to the thing I tried it in DG configuration and still heartily disliked it as there was absolutely none of the ''springy bellows'' feel that acoustic diatonics have. And adjustments by the 'expert' did not improve matters. Also it failed to imitate the fast reed response that is at the very heart of a good acoustic box Another snag is that it needs plugging in to speakers . The little streb electronic box is half the size and self contained.

As to bass the 18 could I think be configured as a sort of not stradella shaped stradella! bass/maj/min

I have no objection in principle to electronics and perhaps the 2nd or 3rd generation FR18 will be better. As it is the only reason I can think of for buying one is if you live in a flat so you can play using just earphones. Indeed if I had to so dwell I may well consider one but would prefer a streb.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back