• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Refurbishing - replacing bass pallet facings

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dreamer

Hi
I am rejuvenating a 1963 old accordion, 80 bass. The bass machine had been checked years ago by an accordionist and told to be beyond repair. Well, I did not believe that, so here I am disassembling the bass machine. By the way my first time.
I read carefully the "Accordion Revival" descriptions.
Somehow it did not seem to fit. My accordion, Italian Capri, has a base machine that seems to be removable, but then not.
The piston rods or say the button rods are all permanently fixed to the metal guide. Once I tried to remove the base machine by detaching the bottom screws (4) the assembly of the pipes (10) fell apart, and the front cover, where the buttons are comes out upward not forward, and I could not keep the pieces together. So I tried to keep each set of pistons(buttons) as notes and counter basses in one, but impossible to remove from the machine together. So I detached the permanent plastic ring from the guide, where they were placed and removed them one by one. It worked.
Got to the pipes, they stayed together in the order by an attached middle metal guide. Got all pieces out and now could work on the paddles. They were so messed up. Changed facings, adjusted, waxed again, seem air tight.
Got that,
Now reassemble. Wow, it's sweating time!
Got a problem. How or where can I find a small ring to once more fixed the piston rods to their metal guides?
I tried wires, it works, but very badly. Any of you ever had to do that?
If you look at the "accordion revival" picture of the removable bass machine, these pistons have the same type of plastic ring to prevent them from getting stuck in a groove. Any suggestions will help.

I did change base paddle facings in a Nobility, it was a easy. The plate from the reed block side came off and there were all pallets exposed and ready to work on. That's how all the accordions should be made. hahaha.
Once more a challenge, but without challenges, life gets too boring. I know this accordion will play again.

Thanks, looking forward for any suggestions.

I may be off the track, but rubber rings as used by garages and plumbers may suit. They come in small sizes about 3mm up or possibly smaller. E-bay has them but don't know where you are. The rods will be about that. If they look suitable, a local motor factor may have them on the shelf. Best wishes and good luck. As an after thought..looking back when I was young I am convinced that if the person couldn't be bother they said to me anything was not repairable. A little knowledge then would have been the thing and I could have saved good tools, etc.

Someone else will come along with the name of chap here in Scotland that sells parts and who comes well recommended.

Thanks Buttons.
I really appreciate the suggestion. I certainly will check it out.
I live in Missouri, USA. There is not too much available for accordions in this area, but eBay will work. I also will check the local auto shop and see what they may have.
Thanks again, Erica

Hi there, I'm also in the process of refurbishing an instrument that probably should have been binned! But, like you, I'm determined to eventually sort it out... Not sure what you mean by these parts you mention - could you post a close-up photo of exactly what you mean?

I think I found the little rubber rings.
I checked in the jewelry department, they are from 1mm to 2mm inside opening. I ordered some online from eBay. Still do not know if they Will fit, but it looks like it. I will let you know.
As I said before, these are to be placed as stoppers for the rods which are the bass button rods that are pushed when played. These are fastened on a guide, and most accordions this guide is wood, but this one is aluminum, and they have a grove at the end, almost looks like an arrow head. So if there is no stopper, they just fall into that groove and stay stuck, and you can't push it in. The original stoppers or plastic rings had to be removed so I could take the bass machine apart to fix the paddles.
I thank you all. Any further suggestions are so welcome.
Thanks buttons for the link. I appreciate it.
Erica.

It sounds like you are working on a scandalli, I use heat shrink tube I have cut into little rings. Push them over the end of the rod into place, then touch the rod end with a soldering iron. the rod will warm up and the heat shrink will shrink n place. works great.

Thanks for that tip.
The heat shrink would be best. Where can I get that?
I got some jewelry rubber rings, just to try, but found they may slip as they get worn. So your suggestion sounds right. I will see if I can find the heat shrink tube.
Thank you so much for your help.
I know this accordion will come alive yet.
Erica

One of the uses for heat shrink tubing is to insulate electric wires. Some auto parts stores sell it or you could try any shop in your town that sells things to electricians. Hope that helps.

Thanks to all of you.
I am glad you are there with information. I have found the shrink tubing and also small rubber rings, and both will work. So as I proceed to reassemble the bass machine I can now complete the project.
The rings have the advantage of being able to be removed easily and replaced again, or used over again. Both options are great.
Thanks so much.
Yes, that old accordion is going to play again.

Hi again.
Now that I have finished the refurbishing process, I can tell you what I did.
I did find the shrink tubing, but it was a bit cumbersome. But then I found stopper rings for fishing rods, they worked perfectly. This allowed me to take it apart again if I had to, and I had to, since one of the paddles' wax had come off, so there I had to take the whole thing apart again, but these stoppers are rubber rings that can easily be removed, and perform just fine.
The base machine was so messed up, to get it straightened out it took me a few weeks to complete the settings, since some springs were too tight, some too lose, and I literally had to chase down each one and adjust, and adjust, and such delicate job.
Once I had it done, I tested it, checked for leaks, and finally it was good to play.
The job is complete, and the bellows are fairly tight, and the sound is just amazing. No more growling, and not more minors sounds mixed with major chords.
I feel like I graduated from a accordion repair course. Hurray.
Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I would not have had the courage to work on the base machine, but for you all. Knowing you would have the answers for my questions and suggestions. Thanks again.
So keep on playing this amazing beautiful instrument.
I love accordions.
Erica.

Congratulations. I'm still plucking up the courage to have a go at repairs myself but don't yet have the confidence (or OK from my wife) to do so.
Your story is very encouraging. Thanks.

Hi.
Thanks.
When I started opening this old accordion, spread out all the parts of the bass machine, it looked hopeless. My husband, always encouraging, was a bit doubtful if I would ever get it back together.
But I told myself, if others can do it, so can I. Besides I was driven by a passionate desire to have this accordion play as it once had when it was new. Also someone had opened it and said it cannot be repaired. Now that did it.
Anyways, I did not know the outcome, but it was worth the try. I will try to load up some pictures, but I have to reduce the pixels first.
Yesterday I played for my husband "un bacio d'amore" and he loved it. The sound is full and good again.
Thanks.
Erica

Was the bacio d'amore for your husband or for your newly vamped accordion?

Yes the "the bacio damore" was definitely for my husband, the ever encouraging, loving, patient, and my greatest enthusiastic fan in my musical endeavors.
Of course that old Capri accordion was the special accordion, part of our beginning! During dating time and so on. The ever constant music maker. So much part of our life long romance.
So we were attached to this one. Although it was not housed with us most of our life, since we traveled and moved too much across continents, and could not bring it along. Lately it had been housed in my sisters place (in a storage in a basement) in Canada. So when we retired, she gave it back to me. But for most of the time it had been abused by amateur players, left out in the weather or basement. So some might have thought it was crappy, and it was by now. So as you can see it had more meaning for me, that I could restore it to a fairly good playing condition. And it still looks good.
Life is too short for negatives in life. Enjoy every day God gives you to the fullest.
Regards, Erica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back