• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Questions about Titano Palmer Hughes Grand 120 bass

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a well made 3 reed Victoria made accordion. As for your question, first what size is the treble keyboard (white key to white key)
And what is your body size ?? Titano grands came in keyboards of 17" or 18 3/4". No matter the keyboard size, if the accordion has the
Palmer-Hughes name on it, it has a convertor bass machine.

Last edited:
It's a well made 3 reed Victoria made accordion. As for your question, first what size is the treble keyboard (white key to white key)
And what is your body size ?? Titano grands came in keyboards of 17" to 18 3/4". No matter the keyboard size, if the accordion has the
My body size is 185 cm (72.8346 inches)

And what is your body size ?? Titano grands came in keyboards of 17" to 18 3/4". No matter the keyboard size, if the accordion has the
What does it mean convertor bass machine?

Yaroslav,
What I understand is meant by the " bass machine " is the fairly intricate analogue mechanism which connects the bass buttons to the bass side reeds, enabling the player to sound one or more reeds simultaneously by the pressing of a single button, resulting in the playing of either single bass notes or a variety or preset chords, as per the Stradella system (although there are also others)?
A convertor bass machine is a bass machine which, additionally, has an option enabling the playing of all (or many more ) of the bass buttons as single notes, enabling the player to play a tune in the left hand simultaneously with another in the right hand, the notes being arranged analogously to the treble buttons on a CBA.?
All this without going into the various complexities of the various B, C , Modena, Belgian and Finnish systems?
The more you look into the field of accordion, the more complicated it gets!?
Here's an illustrative example ?:

Last edited:
What the measure of keyboard I need to consider?
Generally, for a 41-key keyboard, the “standard” measure is about 19” to 19 1/2” from white key end to end.Generally most men with average to large hands will prefer this length, as shorter keyboard lengths mean the width of each key is narrower. Also, if there are some chords you form by using the key space between black keys, this can become difficult or impossible to do without pressing more than one key if the keys are too narrow.

As always, there are trade offs: for players with smaller hands, narrower keys can help increase their chording reach. A shorter keyboard also means a smaller, lighter accordion, which can be desirable for some.

Generally, for a 41-key keyboard, the “standard” measure is about 19” to 19 1/2” from white key end to end.Generally most men with average to large hands will prefer this length, as shorter keyboard lengths mean the width of each key is narrower. Also, if there are some chords you form by using the key space between black keys, this can become difficult or impossible to do without pressing more than one key if the keys are too narrow.

As always, there are trade offs: for players with smaller hands, narrower keys can help increase their chording reach. A shorter keyboard also means a smaller, lighter accordion, which can be desirable for some.
So, if my body size is 185 cm, the more suitable will be a keyboard with 19" inches, right?

As I posted earlier, the Titano grand's were made with 17" or 18 3/4" not 19". If you have a small hand a 17" will do but if you
have a large mit, you will need the 18 3/4".

If your height is 6+ feet tall you will have a large hand. You will need a Grand model with the 18 3/4" keyboard. The treble keyboard
measurement is White Key to White Key.

If your height is 6+ feet tall you will have a large hand. You will need a Grand model with the 18 3/4" keyboard. The treble keyboard
measurement is White Key to White Key.
How can I ask sellers about my specifications?

How can I ask sellers about my specifications?
If you tell the seller you want an accordion with standard width keys they should know what you mean. If they measure the keyboard, white key to white key, it should be approximately 19”.

That said, if you want the Titano Grand, Jim says you will have to settle for either a 17” or an 18 3/4” keyboard. The 17” would probably be too small for you, while 18 3/4” should be fine.

Is it a thing that I need to look?
As far as keyboard size is concerned, it looks like this one meets your needs (although it appears that it has been sold). But without knowing your other requirements,I can not say for example whether an LMH instrument would suit you or not. Also, I have only played accordions with standard Stradella bass, so I have no experience when it comes to selecting a converter or free-bass instrument like this one.

As far as keyboard size is concerned, it looks like this one meets your needs (although it appears that it has been sold). But without knowing your other requirements,I can not say for example whether an LMH instrument would suit you or not. Also, I have only played accordions with standard Stradella bass, so I have no experience when it comes to selecting a converter or free-bass instrument like this one.
Not only the keyboard size is concerned for me as I am very tail guy (185 cm of the height), the number of switches and configuration also make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back