• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Question - Distance Ed Course - bass notes Patricia Bartell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi!
(please escuse this if it was addressed elsewhere but a search doesn't bring up anything)
I need to get control of the bass notes. I have no problem with the right-hand because I play the piano and I understand the layout of the bass buttons conceptually and musically. But I haven't commited them to memory and I need to make my playing much stronger on that side so I'm not randomly hoping I land on the right note. I was considering purchasing the Bass Notes course by Patricia Bartell and I was wondering if anybody has used it and how they found it? I could sort out a method for myself and practice scales or whatever but I think I would miss some useful information and techniques.
Comments? Advice? Other resources?

Rachel,
Welcome ??.
You may like to browse through these two threads: they'll give you an overview ?
See here:
(In both cases, scroll back to the OP)
And here:

Rachel,
Welcome ??.
You may like to browse through these two threads: they'll give you an overview ?
See here:
(In both cases, scroll back to the OP)
And here:
Thank you very much for those links, @Dingo40 I was looking at the Circle of 5ths one, briefly when I joined. There is also an accordion player in Buffalo (Squeeze & Thanks) who has designed a really interesting chord chart for the accordion.

Three ideas:
1. Modern tutor books include LH with simple tunes. Later on they add: alternating bass + chord, runs, wider jumps.
2. If you want to explore tunes in the LH: Melodic Adventures in Bassland' - widely available, not expensive, a bit old-fashioned and no recording; still useful.
3. for a more than thorough grounding, try 'The Mighty Accordion' aka 'The Complete Guide to Mastering LH bass/chord patterns' pub Melbay'

I do not know the Course you mention but would you buy anything with a 70% discount?
To me it looks 'bloated.' If you can play a C Major Arpeggio in the LH, you can play a F# Arpeggio as easily. Having a 56 Page E-book Included with full colored diagrams on arpeggios could be called overkill. Is it really distance learning with no tutor input?
Have you considered Skype?
( PS: I think Gilbert Reyes plays diatonic accordion - maybe not best placed to recommend a Stradella course?)

Three ideas:
1. Modern tutor books include LH with simple tunes. Later on they add: alternating bass + chord, runs, wider jumps.
2. If you want to explore tunes in the LH: Melodic Adventures in Bassland' - widely available, not expensive, a bit old-fashioned and no recording; still useful.
3. for a more than thorough grounding, try 'The Mighty Accordion' aka 'The Complete Guide to Mastering LH bass/chord patterns' pub Melbay'

I do not know the Course you mention but would you buy anything with a 70% discount?
To me it looks 'bloated.' If you can play a C Major Arpeggio in the LH, you can play a F# Arpeggio as easily. Having a 56 Page E-book Included with full colored diagrams on arpeggios could be called overkill. Is it really distance learning with no tutor input?
Have you considered Skype?
( PS: I think Gilbert Reyes plays diatonic accordion - maybe not best placed to recommend a Stradella course?)

Thank you so much @dunlustin for taking the time to share those suggestions with me. I will definitely look into them because they sound much more what I need and want. Also, your point is really good about scales and distance learning. Much appreciated!

I believe the FR-1x has freebass as an option for the left hand. Is you interest only in stradella mode? Just bring this up because for your application (filling the role of a missing bass guitar) there may be benefit from more than one octave of bass notes and it would really change your approach for growing your left hand skills.

I believe the FR-1x has freebass as an option for the left hand. Is you interest only in stradella mode? Just bring this up because for your application (filling the role of a missing bass guitar) there may be benefit from more than one octave of bass notes and it would really change your approach for growing your left hand skills.
Actually, I think you may be right. I've never thought of it as an option because I've never considered playing only in Stradella mode. But yes, as a option for picking out bass lines, combined with some of the sound effects on the Roland, I am going to explore it. Thank you for the tip, @Ben-jammin !

Just a note about the Bass course you mentioned. It isn't just the ebooks, but video as well and in-depth explanations to help you really understand the bass layout. There is specific technique for the bass buttons as well, though there's only so much of that that they can cover in the course. With the technique, it's really helpful to have the live input of a teacher. I know Patricia Bartell's Accordion Life Academy also offers private lessons and could help with that.

Just a note about the Bass course you mentioned. It isn't just the ebooks, but video as well and in-depth explanations to help you really understand the bass layout. There is specific technique for the bass buttons as well, though there's only so much of that that they can cover in the course. With the technique, it's really helpful to have the live input of a teacher. I know Patricia Bartell's Accordion Life Academy also offers private lessons and could help with that.
@CassieN Have you done the course?

I understand the layout of the bass buttons conceptually and musically. But I haven't commited them to memory and I need to make my playing much stronger on that side so I'm not randomly hoping I land on the right note.

I don't think there's really any good shortcut. It just takes time and practice. Start with simple patterns using the chords near C, then gradually branch out from there. (As dunlustin mentioned, a good method book series will have material already organized in a helpful order for this.)

Learning a new instrument can be frustrating for someone who already knows another instrument. Especially when making the piano-to-accordion move, since it's only half the instrument that's new! So it's only the left hand that feels like a beginner again, while the right hand is forced to patiently wait for the left to catch up.

But that's the accordion for you. We all were in the same place you were, where moving from one chord to the next was like a blind jump in the dark. More like an act of faith than a than skill. But we all got better the more we did it, and you will too!

I don't think there's really any good shortcut. It just takes time and practice. Start with simple patterns using the chords near C, then gradually branch out from there. (As dunlustin mentioned, a good method book series will have material already organized in a helpful order for this.)

Learning a new instrument can be frustrating for someone who already knows another instrument. Especially when making the piano-to-accordion move, since it's only half the instrument that's new! So it's only the left hand that feels like a beginner again, while the right hand is forced to patiently wait for the left to catch up.

But that's the accordion for you. We all were in the same place you were, where moving from one chord to the next was like a blind jump in the dark. More like an act of faith than a than skill. But we all got better the more we did it, and you will too!
Thank you, @JeffJetton. I appreciate your words!

@CassieN Have you done the course?

I've done some of it. I'm more of an intermediate player, so I didn't need the basics as much, but it's packed with helpful things for beginners too. It's a pretty full course. As an intermediate player, I do love how I can use it as reference to look things up like more advanced chord combinations etc. The first volume of videos+ebook goes into the relationship of the bass buttons to each other and it takes you through learning them in a logical way. There are exercises for each section to get you comfortable with the buttons in a way that builds on each segment. So that's pretty nice. I do enjoy how I can either go through everything in order or jump to what I need. Since you do already play the piano, the bass course might help fill in what you need to know because it focuses just on that side of the accordion. JeffJetton also had some good words: it does take time and practice and you don't just get comfortable playing the bass buttons overnight. Proper technique and good exercises help! You'll get there. :)

I've done some of it. I'm more of an intermediate player, so I didn't need the basics as much, but it's packed with helpful things for beginners too. It's a pretty full course. As an intermediate player, I do love how I can use it as reference to look things up like more advanced chord combinations etc. The first volume of videos+ebook goes into the relationship of the bass buttons to each other and it takes you through learning them in a logical way. There are exercises for each section to get you comfortable with the buttons in a way that builds on each segment. So that's pretty nice. I do enjoy how I can either go through everything in order or jump to what I need. Since you do already play the piano, the bass course might help fill in what you need to know because it focuses just on that side of the accordion. JeffJetton also had some good words: it does take time and practice and you don't just get comfortable playing the bass buttons overnight. Proper technique and good exercises help! You'll get there. :)
Thanks, CassieN! Your comments are really specific and that's helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back