• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

question about straps

Lynne

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am a singer and storyteller. I play the Anglo concertina, but recently someone gave me an old Hohner Mignon 8 bass piano accordion. I want to learn how to play it but I am stymied by the straps. The one thread related to my question did not give me the answer I sought. I would love to see a photo of someone with this accordion from the back. This would be very helpful. Thanks!

Welcome Lynne!🙂
That's a cute little instrument: very capable for its size.
What exactly do you want to know regarding the shoulder(?) straps?🤔
I tried to find a rear view of someone wearing one, on the web but wasn't successful.🙂

Welcome Lynne!🙂
That's a cute little instrument: very capable for its size.
What exactly do you want to know regarding the shoulder(?) straps?🤔
I tried to find a rear view of someone wearing one, on the web but wasn't successful.🙂
Hi Dingo 40!

Thanks for responding. I couldn't find such a photo either. In several photos and YouTube, I can see that there is one strap, attached to the top of the keys panel, around the player's neck. That does not seem stable enough. I notice that there is another strap going under the player's arms around to the back. I assume that the straps in the back are connected in some way, but not being familiar with accordions, I cannot visualize what that is supposed to look like. If I can't figure it out, I guess I'll find a local accordion player and get them to show me, but I was hoping to save time by working it out for myself.

I can see that there is one strap, attached to the top of the keys panel, around the player's neck. That does not seem stable enough.
Typically, there are two shoulder straps ( a left and a longer right) attached to u-shaped anchors at the top and bottom of the back of the treble box (between the keyboard and the bellows). The two straps are of different lengths, allowing the accordion to sit well to the left such that the vertical line where the treble keyboard joins the accordion sits approximately under the player's nose facing forward.
(I'm sure you would get a demonstration at your local music instrument shop. There are also YouTube videos),
The videos I found earlier today showed players with no, one or two straps. I would say two is best.
I think the ones with no straps were simply making do as they were temporarily without any straps.🙂
Here's someone's take on it (using a full-size accordion):

Last edited:
Thanks! The first two images are videos I had already seen. I will check this one out after I've had a coffee. I will go to my local music store. Surely someone there will know how to do it (though they're generally focussed on guitars).

You can get plain unpadded straps for about $30 on eBay. You'll need to shorten them fter you punch holes to make them fit the buckles.
Good luck trying to find answers from a music store.

You can get plain unpadded straps for about $30 on eBay. You'll need to shorten them fter you punch holes to make them fit the buckles.
Good luck trying to find answers from a music store.
Thanks. My instrument has straps, it's just a bit confusing as to the best way to wear them. I have contacted a player I know. Waiting to hear back.

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 3
Back