• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Que reste-t-il de nos amours ?- I wish you love

Nicely done... the translations (yet again) kind of misses the boat.
"Que reste-il de nos amours" is more "whats left of our love(s)" more than "I wish you love, which may be something like "je vous souhait l'amour"

Fast question Piotr, have you had anyone post very derogatory posts on your comments in YouTube because you are using backing tracks along with the accordion? Just recently I've had this one guy where I had to delete about 6 posts from my videos about the fact that he hates "all f****ing accordion music with fake backing tracks"... lol

Nicely done... the translations (yet again) kind of misses the boat.
"Que reste-il de nos amours" is more "whats left of our love(s)" more than "I wish you love, which may be something like "je vous souhait l'amour"

The English-language version of the song was titled "I Wish You Love". Not surprising that it's not a direct translation--it often isn't. Some of the worst culprits seem to be French-to-English songs, it seems:
  • "Le Moribund" (The Dying Man) became "Seaons in the Sun"
  • "Comme d'Habitude" (As Usual) became "My Way"
  • "La Mer" (The Sea) became "Beyond the Sea"...the title wound up pretty close, but the lyrics are quite different
  • "Je t'appartiens" (I Belong To You) became "Let it be Me"
  • "Les Feuilles Morts" (The Dead Leaves) became "Autumn Leaves" (good decision on that one!)
  • Plus many more...
Anyway, "I Wish You Love" became a signature song of Keely Smith, who I was lucky enough to meet and see perform in a small cabaret in NYC once. She was probably in her 70s at the time and still sounded great!

Wow, I really like this. Great job as usual Piotr. I wonder what this type of music is called and if the composers have more?

Fast question Piotr, have you had anyone post very derogatory posts on your comments in YouTube because you are using backing tracks along with the accordion? Just recently I've had this one guy where I had to delete about 6 posts from my videos about the fact that he hates "all f****ing accordion music with fake backing tracks"... lol
Yes, many times... this makes me laugh. Many professional accordionists play without basses in bands.

Jerry, Walker, Tom - thank you :)

Hello Piotr,

As always your wonderful abilities as a musician shine through in each of your posts. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using backing tracks tastefully and I actually hadn't noticed that you used them in your first few posts so you succeeded in presenting your talents. Also using those tracks is an art and there's a lot of work to do that well. Congratulations on another excellent performance!

Lovely playing, my Trentet had a superb way of writing tunes....
The direct translation of the song is basically a description of finding letters, trinkets, postcards photos etc from a lost relationship
I wish you love ..does not have a morsel of the original romance

Back