• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Problem with stored accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

booeyschewy

I have an old italian 5-row cba. I've been particulary busy and didn't play it for like 6 months. It sat in it's case in my house. Today I opened it and the billows is not as strong, and there's maybe 3 notes that play in all registers in and out without pressing any buttons. Any ideas what may have gone wrong? Heat? Wax? I know optimally it should be played and not stored :(

The 2 worse places to store an accordion is in the attic and garage.

My guess is curled up leathers. And maybe the gasket dried up if leather or shrunk.

goldtopia said:
The 2 worse places to store an accordion is in the attic and garage.

So 20+ years in a damp cellar is better than 6 months in an attic or garage I guess.

I hear storage in submarines is ill advised.

At least after 20 years of storage underground, my Silvertone/Scandalli only makes noise when I push the keys/buttons. (but it IS a VERY basic accordion...fewer moving parts)

Good luck, booeyschewy.

Not always practical, but storage out of its case, protected from dust (under a towel etc) in a normal room (not loft, basement, bathroom, or garage (unless dry & warm)) is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back