• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Practice update - Under Paris Skies

breezybellows

Reaction score
Continuing to practice the new arrangement of Sous le ciel de Paris. It's getting a little faster and better. Almost ready to take this out to the streets.

A quick question on recording with the digital accordion. I tried connecting the L and R outputs of my digital accordion to two separate inputs of my audio interface. Instead of getting the bass and treble signals separate, I'm getting both Bass and Treble on both channels. How do I get this to work?

First, your performance is very tastefully done. Bravo !
At the risk of asking a foolish question, you are using a cable with two plugs on each end ?
If one of the female plugs in the "Evo" is not pushed all the way in, it's possible to be getting both channels through one plug. I'd check that. I don't know what you are using to record the audio, but I use a G4NPro which has the capability of recording in either stereo or mono mode. If that is not correctly adjusted, that could result in your problem. On my audio recorder, it is possible to record a stereo instrument in "mono". Does your audio recorder have the capability of recording stereo inputs; i.e. one left and one right ? Other than those issues, I cannot think of anything that would cause the left and right channels to be mixed.

First, your performance is very tastefully done. Bravo !
At the risk of asking a foolish question, you are using a cable with two plugs on each end ?
If one of the female plugs in the "Evo" is not pushed all the way in, it's possible to be getting both channels through one plug. I'd check that. I don't know what you are using to record the audio, but I use a G4NPro which has the capability of recording in either stereo or mono mode. If that is not correctly adjusted, that could result in your problem. On my audio recorder, it is possible to record a stereo instrument in "mono". Does your audio recorder have the capability of recording stereo inputs; i.e. one left and one right ? Other than those issues, I cannot think of anything that would cause the left and right channels to be mixed.
I was using 2 separate instrument cables (2 guitar cables). Is the cable with two plugs on each end a special cable to get two mono channels?
I'm plugging the cables into Clarett audio interface that has two instrument inputs. I'm not sure if there's a setting to choose between stereo using two inputs (one each for left and right).
Maybe I'm using the wrong cables? I'm sorry I'm a complete noob when it comes to recording.

I'm not the last word on audio recording, but I looked up the Clarett on the web and it has two separate inputs. I don't think the use of two cables is an issue, as a stereo cable is just two cables in one. On the Clarett, I don't know much about it. If the two inputs are, in fact, separate channels, that should work. What are you using to record with ? That might be mixing your two channels into one "mono" channel.

I'm not the last word on audio recording, but I looked up the Clarett on the web and it has two separate inputs. I don't think the use of two cables is an issue, as a stereo cable is just two cables in one. On the Clarett, I don't know much about it. If the two inputs are, in fact, separate channels, that should work. What are you using to record with ? That might be mixing your two channels into one "mono" channel.
I'm using logic pro.

OK, back to my limitations here. I looked up the "logic pro" ( since I was unaware of what it is) and it appears that your Clarette is feeding your computer and thus the logic pro software. I would imagine, given the nature of computers, that the Clarette is feeding your computer through a USB port. I mean it seems that everything should be in order. I think the fact that you are getting a mono signal through the Logic PRo is a function of an simple adjustment in the software. I'm surprised no one else in the forum has not chipped in with some knowledge of this. There are far more informed minds in the forum than mind. Again, my take is an adjustment in "logic Pro" software.

For my part, making recordings using the H4Npro by zoom, I transfer a complete, but unaudited, file into my computer and use Resolve to edit it from there, so the file transferred is already two stereo channels.

I'd be interested in knowing how you make out with this and what you find, ultimately, is the issue.

Good luck,
Ed

OK, back to my limitations here. I looked up the "logic pro" ( since I was unaware of what it is) and it appears that your Clarette is feeding your computer and thus the logic pro software. I would imagine, given the nature of computers, that the Clarette is feeding your computer through a USB port. I mean it seems that everything should be in order. I think the fact that you are getting a mono signal through the Logic PRo is a function of an simple adjustment in the software. I'm surprised no one else in the forum has not chipped in with some knowledge of this. There are far more informed minds in the forum than mind. Again, my take is an adjustment in "logic Pro" software.

For my part, making recordings using the H4Npro by zoom, I transfer a complete, but unaudited, file into my computer and use Resolve to edit it from there, so the file transferred is already two stereo channels.

I'd be interested in knowing how you make out with this and what you find, ultimately, is the issue.

Good luck,
Ed
Let me try searching for settings in logic pro. I see that there is a separate digital accordion forum here. Let me post there as well if I don't get this resolved.

A quick question on recording with the digital accordion. I tried connecting the L and R outputs of my digital accordion to two separate inputs of my audio interface. Instead of getting the bass and treble signals separate, I'm getting both Bass and Treble on both channels. How do I get this to work?
A very easy question to answer. :)

First, "Logic Pro" screams a Mac user, the don't make any other version. A pretty good DAW software. In the post production process or at the very least, before exporting the final file to an MP3 or WAV file, make sure that each channel that you are recording to IN THE DAW (thats your recording software) the PANning controls are set to full left and full right. If you don't know how to do that, let me know I can make a fast video on that.

Second thing... be 100% sure that the left and right cables are fully pushed in on the accordion. If one is out slightly, the accordion reverts to a MONO signal.

Here is also my suggestion... I have NO idea why people with digital instruments record themselves wearing headsets, I find that detrimental to the video... don't we already hear things perfectly using the speakers of the accordion? You will see that on my YouTube channel I never wear headphones in any of my videos, I feel that takes away from the overall quality of the visual story you are trying to tell. The only exception to that rule is if you are doing a multi-track recording and the 2nd instrument you are playing is an acoustic one and it's mics would capture the sound of the 1st track (hence we wear tight over the ear headphones or very tight earbuds if we want to look good). On a digital instrument, there are no acoustic mics, so no reason to wear headphones, really. :)

Jerry

Last edited:
Back