• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Power supply box for MusicTech MIDI retrofit 220vac/50hz vs 110ac/60hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seisiuneer

Reaction score
A friend of mine (who is not on the forum) just took delivery of a Fantini CBA from Australia that had been retrofitted with a Musictech MIDI system.

The Musictech system has a power supply box that provides both the power to the accordion via a cable as well as the MIDI and foot pedal connections.

The power supply box he was sent has a wall plug for Australia, which is 230vac/50hz.

Does anyone know if this power supply will work on US 110vac/60hz. If not, could it be used with a step-down transformer?

I have also encouraged him to contact Musictech.

A USA power supply is about $200 if he has to replace it.

Heres a photo of the power supply box he received:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 556
Note that without the device physically in my hand, I'm only guessing.

I think there is 90% chance that there is an AC-to-DC converter in the box. It converts 220VAC to, say, 9VDC and/or 5VDC, which in turn runs the electronic innards.

If this is the case, all he needs is a 110VAC-220VAC step-up (NOT step-down) transformer. There is no motor, so 50Hz vs 60Hz should not matter.

Look at the wattage on the label, he probably can get away with a small 100W or 200W transformer.

Seisiuneer post_id=57086 time=1523568845 user_id=620 said:
A friend of mine (who is not on the forum) just took delivery of a Fantini CBA from Australia that had been retrofitted with a Musictech MIDI system.

The Musictech system has a power supply box that provides both the power to the accordion via a cable as well as the MIDI and foot pedal connections.

The power supply box he was sent has a wall plug for Australia, which is 230vac/50hz.

Does anyone know if this power supply will work on US 110vac/60hz. If not, could it be used with a step-down transformer?
There really should be a type and voltage label answering the question. These days, there are often switching power supplies in use which would work with either voltage. If that is the case, all you need to exchange is the cable.

If not, its more of a case of replacing the main transformer inside of the box (or if you are lucky and it has a tap for that purpose, rewiring it). Most people versed with electronics would likely be able to do that.

Hello .I've used musictech wireless midi for several years .I have always found the company first class in all my dealings with them .
I would advise you to send an email <EMAIL email="info@musictech.it">info@musictech.it</EMAIL>
for the attention of Claudio Sabbatini .....he is the MD very helpful and speaks very good English .
I hope this is of help !! .....regards Giovanni

Heard back from MusicTech, they confirmed that the step-up transformer would work or they can sell him a USA power box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back