• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Portative organ and accordion

Thanks Morne, what is most fascinating about that clip is the organist is playing a 3 row keyboard - I've never seen that before on an organ!

Thank you for sharing Morne. The portative organ has a lovely tone, quite impressive, maybe even more than the accordion (in some ways). It sounds like baroque recorder to my ears, but staccato.

And yet again, the more I learn, the more I realise how little I really know!

This is the same piece on flute and piano. Hear the tone of these instuments. Wow!

And listen to this recorder (similar tone to the portative organ) and utterly enchanting.

Last edited:
And I am playing both accordion AND recorder(s) - but not at the same time! (I've tried but it somehow didn't work :giggle:).
But me playing accordion (accompaniment, lower parts) and the mates from my recorder group the higher melody parts comes out surprisingly fine, I must say!

There's more on the channel and some with flute as well.
I had never heard of the portative organ until today and I'm so sorry I couldn't have found out about it sooner. What a beautiful sounding instrument! As Walker states, it sounds like a baroque flute and pairs wonderfully with the accordion.

I wonder if someone could invent a register switch for accordion to borrow from the portative organ's tone?

Last edited:
Back