• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Passion, inspiration...or plagiarism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This nice musette Tony Murena mussette vals, very well executed, sounds to me a lot alike Frosini's Olive Blossoms...am I wrong?

My command of French is limited, however Olive Blossoms and this piece are both musette waltzes so both terms should be applicable. Perhaps they're trying to stay clear of copyright issues. They do a great job and it's a pleasure to listen to. There is something to be said about the original version because it's simpler and not overly embellished. In both cases really great musette.

Indeed they are great musicians, I love the videos from this ensemble; sometimes they perform with a bass and a violinist lady that plays like the angels. In any case if there is a bit or a lot of copycat from Frosini's, its not from them but from Tony Murena, which is the author of this "Passion" mussette waltz. Or who knows, maybe Murena's intended it as an homage to Pietro Frosini? In any case, beautiful piece magistrally performed by these artists.

It certainly sounds like Olive Blossoms, but that is some great playing!

Frosini was born in 1885 and passed away in 1952; Murena was born in 1917 and died in 1970. Not that it matters much, any of them could have copied the other but I rather believe that Olive Blossoms was the original, and Passion a copycat, homage or whatever it could be called.
By the way Zevy, your rendition is amazing!

Frosini was born in 1885 and passed away in 1952; Murena was born in 1917 and died in 1970. Not that it matters much, any of them could have copied the other but I rather believe that Olive Blossoms was the original, and Passion a copycat, homage or whatever it could be called.
By the way Zevy, your rendition is amazing!
Thanks - You are very kind.
I believe the music was published in 1933. It was recorded earlier, as in most cases with Frosini's music. I have an alternate version of the master himself playing it in 1930. I'm not sure when the more famous version (recorded with banjo (!) accompaniment) was recorded.
Does that help?

Last edited:
So - unless he wrote "Passion" when he was about 13 years old he was, may we say, paying homage to Frosini.;)

Btw, does anyone have info on the accordion that he is playing here?It looks like a Ballone Burini, but I can't find anything with those specs listed.

I posted a clip of myself playing "Olive Blossoms" on YouTube,

and someone in the comments section remarked that it sounded like "Passion".
I wonder which came first?

Beautiful playing. I could watch this all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back