• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Paolo soprani vs weltmeister

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.N.M.

Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to buy a used accordion and i would like the community's help... Between a paolo soprani super paolo 5 and a weltmeister cantus 5 which one would you prefer, if we suppose that they both are in a good condition... They come from the seventies eighties time.
Thanks!

I can't say specifically but Weltmeister made in East Germany before reunification, Paolo Super Paolo made in Italy in the golden age.
What more can one say??

Sometimes I wonder whether the low quality stuff found in the West would have satisfied the Party Apparatchiks in the East?
Or was there another setup for the privileged?
This maybe suggests there was:

And that maybe makes the choice a bit more difficult.

I can't say specifically but Weltmeister made in East Germany before reunification, Paolo Super Paolo made in Italy in the golden age.
What more can one say??
Generally “Golden Age” refers to instruments built earlier than the 70s, doesn’t it? And during the 80s, I believe that Paolo Soprani’s reputation was not at its peak.

Still, I’m a Paolo Soprani fan. If both instruments were in the same price range and in the same condition, I doubt that I would choose the Weltmeister—unless perhaps it is the exact instrument offered by The Accordion Gallery link that @dunlustin just shared! Then the choice might be difficult!

Sometimes I wonder whether the low quality stuff found in the West would have satisfied the Party Apparatchiks in the East?
Or was there another setup for the privileged?

I can't find the reference now, but I remember reading a comment along the lines of "one had to be an accomplished performer in order to get allocated a top quality instrument" in Soviet times. There was a range of quality, certainly.

I have wished for a comprehensive list of Weltmeister models and production dates (likewise for Tula, Jupiter, etc.) but never run across one. Even for Western manufacturers this is something we have to reconstruct from old catalogs etc.

my vote is for the Weltmeister

S4 is a real sleeper, marvellous tone

no experience with Cantus, but i hope that might be good as well then

Depending on the years that they were produced, I would opt for the Italian accordion in most cases. I've seen a lot of Weltmeisters and I was underwhelmed by the quality of their build. Perhaps those produced in the last 20 or so years might be good quality, however the former DDR and post DDR models tended to be lower quality.

This said, it's ultimately up to you so by all means play each one because you have to choose the one that works best for you.

For me, in terms of older models, the Paulo Soprani wins out over a Weltmeister, BUT that assume both in similar states of quality and tune. Choose the one in better valve, reed and bellows, tune and overall better condition. If they are both near the end of their useful lives, neither will serve you well. :)

The build quality of most all Italian makes will surpass the build quality of a 40 to 50 year old Weltmeister.

Hello,

I am about to buy a used accordion and i would like the community's help... Between a paolo soprani super paolo 5 and a weltmeister cantus 5 which one would you prefer, if we suppose that they both are in a good condition... They come from the seventies eighties time.
Thanks!
Hi weltmeister for busking and paulo soprani for sessions. Not sure what type of player you are. Im just a basic busker who noodles and ear plays melodies

J.N.M.,
In the seventies, Weltmeister was an East German, Soviet product, with all the Soviet baggage: good ones midweek: Dodgy ones weekends and Mondays ?
In the seventies, the Italian makers were still largely uninflluenced by China..
What do you think??
Jerry PH has a point though: compare critically the condition of the actual instruments in question!?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back