• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

pallet /stopper broken....temp repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarvo

Prolific poster
Reaction score
The pallet(is that right ? ) on my G1 note has broken off in my Scandalli :cry: due to a floor/accordion/hand interface disaster during removal from it's case.....looking at the other keys it would appear the the device/pallet (?) is attached to the lever with black wax..... :? ................I have attemted a temporary repair with a small well moulded blob of blue tack.......it seems to work but will not last ...where can I get the necessary bits and bobs to effect a more permanent repair ......or should I just glue it back on .......I am an incompetent DIYer......it took a constant sounding G note and a raised key to make me lift the bonnet and take a peek :cry:

Sorry to hear that, Jarvo. Whatever you use and however you re-attach the pallet, consider any future repair, i.e. no araldite/evo-stick/permanent solution. Waxing the pallet onto the rod is an effective assembly technique, if you have the means and the wax. Alternatives are many but you should use something easy to remove, i.e. non-hardening adhesive. I've found the Bostik solvent-free to be good for valves and i've used it on the odd occasion to effect a quick (nevertheless permanent) repair to pallets. It sets in about 20 minutes, so very soon good to go again. Take the opportunity to use a soft toothbrush on the leather face and give it a gentle brush both with and against the nap; it'll seal well after this. Cleanliness is all important, so cover the hole in the soundboard while cleaning up the rod. Do the pallet on the bench. Remove all traces of previous adhesive, degrease and refit. Place the pallet on the soundboard, in line with the others, then let the rod fall into place in the glued pallet slot. Remove any excess glue while it's still wet, then set aside until cooked. Oh, and good luck!

:tup: Thanks for the above....at the moment the little blob of Blue-Tack seems to be holding after a couple of hours of frantic key pressing....it seems to fit much of your criteria..........Cheers :tup:

Reed wax and a soldering iron is the logical step up from that ...... I use the time honoured melodeon method of using a hot glue gun - easily removed when needed but more permanent than wax . Wax will do though

Well welcome below the grill...
If I didn't have wax I'd try what I've got in my DIY box that I suspect will work, but is certainly reversible:
No-Nails solvent free or the like - solvent free 'cos it isn't so hard to reverse.
And if blue tack works even temporarily then the above will work ...foreverish.

Not tried this just what I'd probably do if no wax to hand, so feel free to shoot it down...

The Blue Tack seems to be holding thanks guys :tup: May take a trip to Theo Gibbs Place out my door turn right to NoooCaSSel as they say oop 'ere :)

If you DO visit Theo you could ask about this too & get an opinion of an expert who can see the insides first hand:

Jarvo said: hang on a minute...........a thought just struck me like a bolt of lightning.....seriously for once.........if the reeds are the sound of the machine ,and you can obviously remove and refit reeds then surely you can upgrade reds into a reasonably performing box and improve your accordion that way.....wont be cheap ,but similar to putting better quality strings on a guitar ............food for thought....??

OOOOOohhhhhh yes ....and of course ,he is in Gyatesheeed.....which is even clersah........ :b {}

Soulsaver said:
If you DO visit Theo you could ask about this too & get an opinion of an expert who can see the insides first hand:

Jarvo said: <COLOR color=#0040FF>hang on a minute...........a thought just struck me like a bolt of lightning.....seriously for once.........if the reeds are the sound of the machine ,and you can obviously remove and refit reeds then surely you can upgrade reds into a reasonably performing box and improve your accordion that way.....wont be cheap ,but similar to putting better quality strings on a guitar ............food for thought....??

A bit like putting a RollsRoyce engine in a Ford, expensive, and the engine/reeds are held back by the rest of the machine. Much better put your money into a better instrument.

Oh well.....just an idea.......... :oops:

jarvo said:
Oh well.....just an idea.......... :oops:
That is what we thought, though. Nothing lost by exploring the options. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back