• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Once more, with feeling!๐Ÿ™‚

An amazing man who learned accordion in 3 months at age 6, studied music and electronics, is a prolific composer and producer, with his own tv show. All without sight.

I would imagine an accordion would be one of the most suitable musical instruments for a non sighted person to play as you can't see the keys anyway. Mind you, George Shearing did pretty well on the piano!!

Blind accordionists are not as uncommon as one would think. Otto Lechner is a composer and performer who is especially impressive in the fact that NO ONE taught him, he is completely self taught, starting at 4, but only lost his sight at age 15, but becuase of this, his playing and performing habits are very unique. He is a strong jazz player.

Last edited:
Pipemajor said,
"Mind you, George Shearing did pretty well on the piano!!"
Then, there's Ray Charles...
After World War Two, there was a number of sightless war veteran invalids playing accordions (busking ?๐Ÿค”) in
the streets of cities everywhere.

Last edited:
I would imagine an accordion would be one of the most suitable musical instruments for a non sighted person to play as you can't see the keys anyway. Mind you, George Shearing did pretty well on the piano!!
He cheated....only used black keys...
Didn't stop me idolizing him though..

Some of you might not be aware of George Shearing's made his first recording on an accordion. It was a 78rpm.

Back