• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Next “basket case”….

Forever impressed at people like you who do such major work on the less valuable boxes. I'm a solid believer of "if most of it is still there, then it can probably be fixed", which will probably bite me on the backside when I properly get into repair work haha

Forever impressed at people like you who do such major work on the less valuable boxes. I'm a solid believer of "if most of it is still there, then it can probably be fixed", which will probably bite me on the backside when I properly get into repair work haha
Good way to accomplish some skill and save an instrument. iWork on these when I get a minute of spare time. I will post as it progresses. Thank you.

Reed blocks ripped off you say?

Yep. Has it been handled by Parcelforce by any chance?
They like to play football with the parcels...At least the delivery guy had the decency to tell me that his team won 3-2 when they were kicking mine.
PXL_20231219_124215350.jpg

Reed blocks ripped off you say?

Yep. Has it been handled by Parcelforce by any chance?
They like to play football with the parcels...At least the delivery guy had the decency to tell me that his team won 3-2 when they were kicking mine.
PXL_20231219_124215350.jpg
Wow.

I just bought a one row melodeon from (I assume) the late 1940s, key unknown, from a charity shop site. You might think it'd arrive like that poor beast. Nope.

It was packed like the crown jewels. It has a couple of scratchy, rattling, reeds, and the air button is wonky and doesn't seal well, but that is definitely not their fault.

It's in "D". Yay!

It's a "Rigoletto - Made In Germany US Zone". Whatever that might be, it sounds ok.

Attachments

• IMG_20240225_233441597~2.jpg
    IMG_20240225_233441597~2.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Congrats.
The broken one is from mid-late 1800s, and I don't think anyone sane would touch it with a barge pole - I'm still doubting whether I should have got myself into it.
But and it's a 12-bass 2.5-row diatonic flutina :oops: and it's in G/C/Accs, which is still very relevant in 2024. Naturally-sized (no tip weights) brass reeds should reward me with some very sweet timbre, assuming that I can actually get it playable.

Congrats.
The broken one is from mid-late 1800s, and I don't think anyone sane would touch it with a barge pole - I'm still doubting whether I should have got myself into it.
But and it's a 12-bass 2.5-row diatonic flutina :oops: and it's in G/C/Accs, which is still very relevant in 2024. Naturally-sized (no tip weights) brass reeds should reward me with some very sweet timbre, assuming that I can actually get it playable.
I feel lucky. I assumed it would arrive like yours, and I'd be sad and lost. I thought, worst case, I will have some nice home decor if nothing else.

That's a cool project you have and G/C is definitely still relevant. Keep posting on it. I wish you well, and to hear it when it's up and playing!

I came across THIS thing. It's sort of mind-blowing.

"This accordion is amazing. It has a switch to select EAD, GCF or BbEbAb keys. It has 23 helikon basses. The entire bank of 5 treble reedblocks shifts left/right to align the reedblock holes with the button pallets. 360 treble reeds, 580 total reeds."

Back