• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New here! Just started accordion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cassidy:
I think the suggestion by Glug to look at Palmer Hughes books is a good suggestion
Another good series for beginner is Sedlon. Actually, I have used both, and as a beginner,I prefer Sedlon
I think you can find them new and / or used on EBay.
Also, I may have some of the beginner books available as well. I would have to see what I have, and decide if I want to part
with them. (not sure why I want to keep them either)
I'm certainly not an expert or an accomplished musician, but I would be happy to help a beginner along---then after you pass me up,
and become an "accordionista" you can help me understand. Ha, ha.
CHICKERS
I have heard the Palmer and Hughes ones are good, and I’ve seen them online for pretty cheap, I might try and order one tonight if I can.

Cassidy:

I have the complete Sedlon Accordion series of 8 books (1A->4B) copyright 1950 when I took accordion lessons for 2 years. The copyright should be expired by now, so I can scan the set as a PDF file and send it to you.

John M.

P.S. Until I was 8 years old, I lived in Euclid, Ohio, within walking distance of where the Polka Hall of Fame is today. Then we moved to Willoughby Hills in 1950. Now I live a few miles West of Medina, Ohio. After all those years I started playing the accordion two years ago and really enjoy it. I was amazed how much I retained and can now improve upon today. I play at the Medina County Home, nursing homes, etc. My wife takes our therapy dog and visits the rooms while I entertain the folks. I quit accordion after two years because my grandfather, dad and all our relatives only wanted Slovenian polkas which I played for them. I don't mind a polka now and then, but when it's just polka--polka--polka, it gets to be a bit much. And the variation/beat of the Slovenian polka is minimal. I got bored with the same old Om-Pah beat all the time and that's why I quit. Now I play quite variety of tunes and really enjoy it.

John M.
Hi John, i am in mentor and very familiar with the willoughy area. My wife’s family really enjoys the “polka” sound. I myself am more interested in what I would call French accordion. At least the songs I like online are titled ”French accordion” or ”French cafe” haha.
the books would be great! the book I have now isn’t great.

Cassidy:

I have the complete Sedlon Accordion series of 8 books (1A->4B) copyright 1950 when I took accordion lessons for 2 years. The copyright should be expired by now, so I can scan the set as a PDF file and send it to you.

John M.

P.S. Until I was 8 years old, I lived in Euclid, Ohio, within walking distance of where the Polka Hall of Fame is today. Then we moved to Willoughby Hills in 1950. Now I live a few miles West of Medina, Ohio. After all those years I started playing the accordion two years ago and really enjoy it. I was amazed how much I retained and can now improve upon today. I play at the Medina County Home, nursing homes, etc. My wife takes our therapy dog and visits the rooms while I entertain the folks. I quit accordion after two years because my grandfather, dad and all our relatives only wanted Slovenian polkas which I played for them. I don't mind a polka now and then, but when it's just polka--polka--polka, it gets to be a bit much. And the variation/beat of the Slovenian polka is minimal. I got bored with the same old Om-Pah beat all the time and that's why I quit. Now I play quite variety of tunes and really enjoy it.

John M.
"I got bored with the same old Om-Pah beat all the time." Many suggestions for varying one's base playing can be found here.

Tom, thanks for the info! The best I could research was like you said, made in the 50s. I bought it at a music store, I was really trying to avoid buying online. I figured if it gets me to learn I can upgrade in a few years to a better model.
Also, I see you mentioned using my ring finger on the C, I have seen different videos of people using either there ring or middle finger. Is the ring finger the correct way?
It reminds me of learning guitar, I never used my pinky and still can't. Only to find out as I progressed it would make chords much easier if I did.
Hi Cassidy,

It's really a matter of personal choice to use your ring or middle finger on the "fundamental bass." I generally use my ring finger and this is considered the "modern" way. It actually makes it easier to add 7th chords in my opinion. Many experienced people end up using both anyway. I recommend you start learning using the ring finger.

If you are looking for the Sedlon course, you can find it, with audio lessons free here:

Scroll way down till you come to the chart of lessons in zip format. This is how I started.

I think Dale Mathis's lessons have already been suggested to you:

I understand it can get boring to play all polkas all the time! I like to play some nut mix it up with lots of other music. Don't worry about what you learn to start with. It's just to get going, then you can pick what suites you.

My favorite Cleveland (area) band is Ted Lange on accordion and Mollie Busta on trumpet, vocals and other instruments generally:

Good luck!!!!!

Hi Cassidy,

It's really a matter of personal choice to use your ring or middle finger on the "fundamental bass." I generally use my ring finger and this is considered the "modern" way. It actually makes it easier to add 7th chords in my opinion. Many experienced people end up using both anyway. I recommend you start learning using the ring finger.

If you are looking for the Sedlon course, you can find it, with audio lessons free here:

Scroll way down till you come to the chart of lessons in zip format. This is how I started.

I think Dale Mathis's lessons have already been suggested to you:

I understand it can get boring to play all polkas all the time! I like to play some nut mix it up with lots of other music. Don't worry about what you learn to start with. It's just to get going, then you can pick what suites you.

My favorite Cleveland (area) band is Ted Lange on accordion and Mollie Busta on trumpet, vocals and other instruments generally:

Good luck!!!!!
Thank you! These already look better and more understanding than what I have.

Reactions: Tom
Cassidy:
I think the suggestion by Glug to look at Palmer Hughes books is a good suggestion
Another good series for beginner is Sedlon. Actually, I have used both, and as a beginner,I prefer Sedlon
I think you can find them new and / or used on EBay.
Also, I may have some of the beginner books available as well. I would have to see what I have, and decide if I want to part
with them. (not sure why I want to keep them either)
I'm certainly not an expert or an accomplished musician, but I would be happy to help a beginner along---then after you pass me up,
and become an "accordionista" you can help me understand. Ha, ha.
CHICKERS
Thanks Chickers, I have found the sedlon books online and was able to download them. They look better than the book I have so that should be a good start.

Hi John, i am in mentor and very familiar with the willoughy area. My wife’s family really enjoys the “polka” sound. I myself am more interested in what I would call French accordion. At least the songs I like online are titled ”French accordion” or ”French cafe” haha.
the books would be great! the book I have now isn’t great.
Hi Cassidy,

So as I see in a later post, you have found the Sedlon course on line. I will not scan my 8 books in a PDF file for you.

John M.

Hi Cassidy,

So as I see in a later post, you have found the Sedlon course on line. I will not scan my 8 books in a PDF file for you.

John M.
Sorry John, I did find them online. I don't know that my message went through or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back