• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

New here! Just started accordion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassidy

Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Cassidy and I recently purchased my first accordion! It is a full size Rossini, with two treble switches. Though I don't know that they both work properly. When I push the first one I get more of a clarinet sound, when I push the other it just goes back to the original sound. Anyhow, I look forward to sharing on the forum and learning accordion! Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I haven't been able to find many teachers here in ohio

Hi Cassidy and welcome! Lots of great advice and ideas here on the forum. If you like learning online, there are many people who do tutorials on how to play certain songs, or tips on playing accordion in general. One online teacher I really like is Ronan Segal--you can find lots of videos at his YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/moshezuchter. He posts a lot of free advice and lessons, although he also has a more formal course of lessons as a paid subscription at www.accordionlove.com. I'm lucky enough to have a local teacher, but I really enjoy and have learned a lot from those videos as well. Post a pic of your accordion and I'm sure some of the experts here can tell you more about it. I'd also add be sure to get some advice on proper playing position (I'm currently dealing with a strained left wrist and thumb from being overly enthusiastic and not doing something correctly). I'm not sure how to link to another thread, but I posted about my wrist pain and people shared some really good videos around proper posture and technique that I wish I'd seen when I was first starting out.

Hello all, my name is Cassidy and I recently purchased my first accordion! It is a full size Rossini, with two treble switches. Though I don't know that they both work properly. When I push the first one I get more of a clarinet sound, when I push the other it just goes back to the original sound. Anyhow, I look forward to sharing on the forum and learning accordion! Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I haven't been able to find many teachers here in ohio
Hi cassidy. First learn basic bass pattern from a book or another accordion player. Start on c or g. Try the counter bass and major bass then try the counter bass and minor bass. Start the treble side by singing basic hymms or sea shanties and work out the keys by ear. Keep trying and keep perfecting it.
Best of luck

Hello Cassidy, Liberty Bellows in Philadelphia, PA has some lessons which are free. I have used some of their videos to learn songs that are probably a little more advanced for me, but you can cut the speed down on the video which helps. Good Luck

Welcome Cassidy! Ohio has a lot of accordion hotspots, so hopefully you'll be able to find a teacher somewhere. Heck, the Polka Hall of Fame is up in Cleveland! And there's a Hofbrauhaus near Cincinnati. Good luck!

CASSIDY:
Welcome.
There certainly are lots of resources---some not so good---as for learning the accordion.
Seeing you are in Ohio, we should somehow make a connection, as I'm in the Cleveland area.
I'm pretty new to the accordion as well, and am doing my best with self teaching.
Accordion teachers are around, but in "my" experience I have found a lot of very good
accordionists that try to teach, but not a lot of good teachers.
I hope to hear FROM YOU.
CHICKERS

Welcome Cassidy!

About your treble switches.... I'm not sure exactly what you are describing.

With two treble switches you will get only two different treble sounds, one of which could be what you describe as "the original sound." Or do you mean that the sounds are the same regardless of which switch you push? In which case there is something that could be fixed.

Often 2 treble switches indicates that the accordion has two "sets" of treble reeds. One switch will cause both sets to play, a position called "master." The other switch will cause only one set to sound, often the higher sounding reed set.

Good luck finding your help in Ohio.

Hi Cassidy and welcome! Lots of great advice and ideas here on the forum. If you like learning online, there are many people who do tutorials on how to play certain songs, or tips on playing accordion in general. One online teacher I really like is Ronan Segal--you can find lots of videos at his YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/moshezuchter. He posts a lot of free advice and lessons, although he also has a more formal course of lessons as a paid subscription at www.accordionlove.com. I'm lucky enough to have a local teacher, but I really enjoy and have learned a lot from those videos as well. Post a pic of your accordion and I'm sure some of the experts here can tell you more about it. I'd also add be sure to get some advice on proper playing position (I'm currently dealing with a strained left wrist and thumb from being overly enthusiastic and not doing something correctly). I'm not sure how to link to another thread, but I posted about my wrist pain and people shared some really good videos around proper posture and technique that I wish I'd seen when I was first starting out.
Welcome Cassidy ??
What kind of music are you aiming to play?
Hi Dingo, I am interested In all kinds of music. Currently I have been enjoying some “French accordion” albums I have found on Spotify!

Welcome Cassidy!

With two treble switches you will get only two different treble sounds, one of which could be what you describe as "the original sound." Or do you mean that the sounds are the same regardless of which switch you push? In which case there is something that could be fixed.

Often 2 treble switches indicates that the accordion has two "sets" of treble reeds. One switch will cause both sets to play, a position called "master." The other switch will cause only one set to sound, often the higher sounding reed set.

Hi Tom, basically when I push the first switch(when in playing position) sound switches to more of a clarinet sound. When I push the second switch it just goes back to the main sound. I will have to post a picture of my accordion!

CASSIDY:
Welcome.
There certainly are lots of resources---some not so good---as for learning the accordion.
Seeing you are in Ohio, we should somehow make a connection, as I'm in the Cleveland area.
I'm pretty new to the accordion as well, and am doing my best with self teaching.
Accordion teachers are around, but in "my" experience I have found a lot of very good
accordionists that try to teach, but not a lot of good teachers.
I hope to hear FROM YOU.
CHICKERS
Hi Chickers, I to am in the Cleveland area. I purchased a beginners accordion book and I have been watching YouTube videos right now. I can play other instruments but the accordion is one I have always wanted to learn

Welcome Cassidy!

Hi Tom, I have attached a photo of my accordion. I don't see a model number, if there would even be one. Just Rossini.

Attachments

• accordion.JPG
    accordion.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 14
Hi Tom, I have attached a photo of my accordion. I don't see a model number, if there would even be one. Just Rossini.
Hi Cassidy,

Nice looking accordion, I hope it sounds good to you! I am not an expert, but to me this looks like a well made "student" (as opposed to professional) accordion made in Italy in the 1950s.

The treble switches seem to be operating properly. With two switches you will only get the two sounds - the ones you describe as clarinet and main. Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Just start slowly. Playing accotdion is difficult with the coordination of both hands. It helps to look in a mirror to get comfortable with the ring finger of your left hand on the "C" bass button marked on the second row. Practice very slowlly at first, just C bass and C chord, adding single notes slowly in the right hand. Soon you will play better than me!

I hope you're finding others to help you in Cleveland. My daughter lives part time in Little Italy but reports very little accordion activity!

Good luck!

Hi Cassidy,

Nice looking accordion, I hope it sounds good to you! I am not an expert, but to me this looks like a well made "student" (as opposed to professional) accordion made in Italy in the 1950s.

The treble switches seem to be operating properly. With two switches you will only get the two sounds - the ones you describe as clarinet and main. Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Just start slowly. Playing accotdion is difficult with the coordination of both hands. It helps to look in a mirror to get comfortable with the ring finger of your left hand on the "C" bass button marked on the second row. Practice very slowlly at first, just C bass and C chord, adding single notes slowly in the right hand. Soon you will play better than me!

I hope you're finding others to help you in Cleveland. My daughter lives part time in Little Italy but reports very little accordion activity!

Good luck!
Tom, thanks for the info! The best I could research was like you said, made in the 50s. I bought it at a music store, I was really trying to avoid buying online. I figured if it gets me to learn I can upgrade in a few years to a better model.
Also, I see you mentioned using my ring finger on the C, I have seen different videos of people using either there ring or middle finger. Is the ring finger the correct way?
It reminds me of learning guitar, I never used my pinky and still can't. Only to find out as I progressed it would make chords much easier if I did.

Hi Chickers, I to am in the Cleveland area. I purchased a beginners accordion book and I have been watching YouTube videos right now. I can play other instruments but the accordion is one I have always wanted to learn
CASSIDY:
Well, I'm really glad to hear we have someone in Cleveland interested in learning accordion. Cleveland has a wealth of
old time talent, but I was beginning to think I was the only beginner in the Cleveland area. Surprising, with all the history
of polka, and all the ethnic music in the area.
Curiosity: are you taking lessons, or going the self teaching route ? I have tried both, but I am back to self teaching.
I'm fairly new with the accordion, and a senior beginner.
Learning to play the accordion well, is not an easy goal. I found that both self teaching, and taking lessons have pluses,
and minus'.
What series of accordion books are you using ? Lot's of talent on the forum, and very helpful information from the many
folks who make up this community.
Hey, we can work on playing as a duet---ha, ha.----sometime down the road.
Take care, and I wish you lots of success in your playing.
Keep in touch, and let us know how you are progressing
CHICKERS

CASSIDY:
Well, I'm really glad to hear we have someone in Cleveland interested in learning accordion. Cleveland has a wealth of
old time talent, but I was beginning to think I was the only beginner in the Cleveland area. Surprising, with all the history
of polka, and all the ethnic music in the area.
Curiosity: are you taking lessons, or going the self teaching route ? I have tried both, but I am back to self teaching.
I'm fairly new with the accordion, and a senior beginner.
Learning to play the accordion well, is not an easy goal. I found that both self teaching, and taking lessons have pluses,
and minus'.
What series of accordion books are you using ? Lot's of talent on the forum, and very helpful information from the many
folks who make up this community.
Hey, we can work on playing as a duet---ha, ha.----sometime down the road.
Take care, and I wish you lots of success in your playing.
Keep in touch, and let us know how you are progressing
CHICKERS
Yeah, I have read about all the players that used to be in Cleveland, its a bummer there as many or so it seems. I'm in my 30s and have a musical background, I played trumpet in school and then began guitar in my teens, but I never took lessons for guitar.
At the moment I am teaching myself, I've only had my accordion for a few weeks now. I actually only go straps that fit last week! I would like to take lessons at some point, but finding a teacher and the time will be difficult. At the moment I am trying to dedicate around a half hour sometime after work to practice.
I purchased the accordion at a music store in Columbus and bought the only book they had one accordions, its a Hal-Leonard "Play Accordion Today" book. So far I don't really care for it. It doesn't seem to touch on technique more so learning songs and reading music.
Do have any suggestions on books that would be helpful?

Palmer Hughes is the standard, but it's also quite old.
I found books 1 and 2 were enough to get me started.

It's pretty cheap but there are about 10 books, Amazon has it.
Or Googling "Palmer Hughes pdf" will find the first few books.

Yeah, I have read about all the players that used to be in Cleveland, its a bummer there as many or so it seems. I'm in my 30s and have a musical background, I played trumpet in school and then began guitar in my teens, but I never took lessons for guitar.
At the moment I am teaching myself, I've only had my accordion for a few weeks now. I actually only go straps that fit last week! I would like to take lessons at some point, but finding a teacher and the time will be difficult. At the moment I am trying to dedicate around a half hour sometime after work to practice.
I purchased the accordion at a music store in Columbus and bought the only book they had one accordions, its a Hal-Leonard "Play Accordion Today" book. So far I don't really care for it. It doesn't seem to touch on technique more so learning songs and reading music.
Do have any suggestions on books that would be helpful?
Cassidy:
I think the suggestion by Glug to look at Palmer Hughes books is a good suggestion
Another good series for beginner is Sedlon. Actually, I have used both, and as a beginner,I prefer Sedlon
I think you can find them new and / or used on EBay.
Also, I may have some of the beginner books available as well. I would have to see what I have, and decide if I want to part
with them. (not sure why I want to keep them either)
I'm certainly not an expert or an accomplished musician, but I would be happy to help a beginner along---then after you pass me up,
and become an "accordionista" you can help me understand. Ha, ha.
CHICKERS

Cassidy:

I have the complete Sedlon Accordion series of 8 books (1A->4B) copyright 1950 when I took accordion lessons for 2 years. The copyright should be expired by now, so I can scan the set as a PDF file and send it to you.

John M.

P.S. Until I was 8 years old, I lived in Euclid, Ohio, within walking distance of where the Polka Hall of Fame is today. Then we moved to Willoughby Hills in 1950. Now I live a few miles West of Medina, Ohio. After all those years I started playing the accordion two years ago and really enjoy it. I was amazed how much I retained and can now improve upon today. I play at the Medina County Home, nursing homes, etc. My wife takes our therapy dog and visits the rooms while I entertain the folks. I quit accordion after two years because my grandfather, dad and all our relatives only wanted Slovenian polkas which I played for them. I don't mind a polka now and then, but when it's just polka--polka--polka, it gets to be a bit much. And the variation/beat of the Slovenian polka is minimal. I got bored with the same old Om-Pah beat all the time and that's why I quit. Now I play quite variety of tunes and really enjoy it.

John M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back