• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New from Australia, keen on valse, Eastern European jazz? and popular culture tunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jameson_waits

Hey everyone, really glad to have found this forum.

Started playing a couple years ago, inspired by Yann Tiersen and Amelie (like many others I bet). Couldnt afford the lessons for long but kept renting the accordion and casually self learned using synthesia and struggling through sheet music.

Due to sickness I returned the accordion at the beginning of this year and grew rusty. Have recently been treated and my health is improving, which happened to coincide with an auction a couple days ago. I picked up a red Soprani 120B with 5 Couplets for real cheap (see picture attached).

Im very rusty and atm just trying to relearn the bits and pieces I had more or less down pat - Tiersens La Veillee and the slower parts of La Noyee and La Valse des Monstres. I will self-teach for a while and try to learn sheet music until I can afford some lessons that hopefully accelerate learning and set me up for more self-teaching down the track. The risk of course is picking up bad habits in the mean time.

Id like to branch out to Eastern European/Roma jazz (Im not sure if gypsy is offensive? or what else to call the genre) like

<YOUTUBE id=dlI3lp286Zk url=></YOUTUBE>

And popular culture tunes like the Game of Thrones theme - this cover comes as French valse which is appealing seeing as Im more familiar with the bass finger pattern.

<YOUTUBE id=tVe29L7QOvM url=></YOUTUBE>

Additionally, Im in my mid 20s, and video games made up a large part of my childhood. This cover of a video game tune is incredible and a goal for me.

<YOUTUBE id=hp_wxPKAFtk url=>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp_wxPKAFtk</YOUTUBE>

Keen to meet others who make fewer strangling cats comments :|

DSC_0049.JPG

Hi, you're very welcome here. It's a great forum. Glad you're able to get back to accordion and now have one of your own.

No doubt there are some people who object to the term "gypsy jazz" but there are very many people who use that as the standard label and it's great music whatever you call it. Some say jazz manouche or other alternative terms.

Anyway, best of luck with the playing.
Cheers
Tom

G'day Jameson,
Welcome to the forum. There are a couple other of us Aussies here. Congrats on your new accordion - not too many things more exciting than getting a new instrument.
cheers Howie

Hi J-W!<EMOJI seq="1f642">?</EMOJI>
Welcome!
I’m from OZ as well (SA).
You say you found your Paolo Soprani at a sale on Tuesday. Was that at the Scammell’s Salerooms in Norwood (the Ron Pierce Music clearance sale) by any chance?
I had a look around in the preview, last week, but didn’t make the sale.

What else to call Gypsy Jazz genre music?, I hear J-W ask.
Well, identical sounding music from the 1940s and 1950s was simply called “swing”, there should be many examples posted on YouTube <EMOJI seq="1f642">?</EMOJI>
It’s a style I like a lot!

jameson_waits post_id=53365 time=1513166844 user_id=2642 said:
Additionally, Im in my mid 20s, and video games made up a large part of my childhood. This cover of a video game tune is incredible and a goal for me.

Welcome and yes you should do Zelda {}

Dingo40 said:
Hi J-W![emoji846]
Welcome!
I’m from OZ as well (SA).
You say you found your Paolo Soprani at a sale on Tuesday. Was that at the Scammell’s Salerooms in Norwood (the Ron Pierce Music clearance sale) by any chance?
I had a look around in the preview, last week, but didn’t make the sale.
Dingo, nice to meet you. It was the very same. Part 2 of the sale is happening in February, I might see you there

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

jameson_waits post_id=53365 time=1513166844 user_id=2642 said:

Welcome and yes you should do Zelda {}[/quote]Got any advice? :)

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I have some advice. Well, actually I'm stealing the advice from someone else:

Thomson's Rule for First-Time Telescope Makers: "It is faster to make a four-inch mirror then a six-inch mirror than to make a six-inch mirror."

Or, in accordion terms, don't be in such a rush to play the harder material. Take your time to gradually master the needed skills by playing easier (but still just slightly at the edge of your ability) material. Patience is the name of the game here. Learn to trust--and even love--the process.

Perhaps paradoxically, this will almost always get to your goal faster than if you just jumped in with the hard stuff right away. {}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back