• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

names of bass couplers on scandalli

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikeaccordion

Can any one assist mě with the names etc of the. 5 bass couplers on my scandalli XIV which is a 5 voice

Hi Mike; First of all do your shifts or couplers have line and dot markings or are they plain with no markings??

I dont think the XIV has Jim, not the ones Ive seen. One here -
http://www.accordionists.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=288

XIVs Ive touched had 6 couplers, as above pics. I thought yours was the same Mike?

If it works like the ones Ive handled, most stay down when pushed - but one springs back so they look nice and flat parked. And that ones the master or ALL REEDS ON.

Does anyone call them anything other than low, LM, middle, LH, high, all on... or the like?

Your quite correct there are 6 and the 3rd oné up is sprung so thats the master

Soulsaver said:
Does anyone call them anything other than low, LM, middle, LH, high, all on... or the like?

Quite a few of my fellow accordionistas refer to the couplers as violin, bassoon, bandoneon etc. I find those terms misleading and confusing, and prefer the dot & line icons, and the LMH identification.

[/quote]

I thought I knew all this, but that is quite useful actually, {}

There are no markings on the couplers or nearby the bottom one is a much higher toné.

Oops, sorry - I didn't read your original post & heading properly. BASS couplers. They're not as straightforward...

Hi Mike; There is really no standard names used for bass shifts or couplers. They are commonly identified by a dot and line system that denotes which sets of reeds are in play. If your accordion has five sets of reeds they are in most cases (2) highest (4) (8-4)slightly detuned (8) and (16) lowest. If your accordion has no shift markings you will have to remove the reed blocks and observe which ones open and close when a shift is pressed then jot them down to use for future reference. JIM D.

While we're on the subject of Scandalli xiv - one sold on ebay recently for £1300 BIN which is more than the nice looking condition one on here is.. see above link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back