• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Name this tune

The mystery is solved! Thanks, Piotr.

Some interesting info on the tune's Wikipedia article. Apparently it's nicknamed the "Suicide Tango"! 😲

(And, after reading a translation of the lyrics, I can see why.)
It's a famous old Polish tango and while it's not an upbeat tune the Wikipedia translation gives a word for word version but missed the context so "suicide tango" is a little extreme.

Wikipedia is a collection of articles written by various people who may or may not be qualified to claim expertise on their chosen subject. Musical tastes change and a lot of 1930's music had a tendency to be rather melodramatic.

I've loved this free-reed rendition of "Ostatnia Niedziela" for years now . . . I've always found concertina under-used and under-appreciated for Eastern European as well as tango music . . .

Vocal version was by Mieczyslaw Fogg...

Words are about lost love, so, as Valski said, Suicide Tango is a bit extreme.

Back