• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Mulling over a trade in...

NewtoReeds

Reaction score
Hey folks, friends, and fellow fisarmonicisti,

I have spent a little time with the Ciao Reedless MIDI accordion I have previously posted about and have come to the conclusion that for my purposes, it is wanting. I find myself, as well as my kids tripping over cables, and changing sounds still proves, at least to me, unintuitive.

That said, I've been considering trading it in for a Roland FR-1X, as they are the most affordable of the bunch. Would I be missing much going from a full size 41/120 instrument like a 4X or 8X, and how much could I expect to get as far as trade-in value for the Ciao? Is this even a worthwhile pursuit? Thanks a bunch, guys, and gals!

I moved from a Petosa Millennium Reedless Accordion around a decade ago into an FR-8X. The difference in technology is a great leap from the Ciao.

For me, the FR-1X is far too limiting. I've even been on the fence about the 4X due to the number of treble keys.

If you’re near a Roland dealership and can spend some time playing the Roland models you’d consider, comparing/contrasting them against the 1x and the Ciao, both for how they play and what it’s like to carry them it would be the best test. Everyone here has different requirements based on the kinds of music they play, the amount of weight they can reasonably handle, etc.

In my case, I traded in my Ciao and some older acoustic accordions and some cash for a new acoustic with Master’s Play Midi unit installed. When carrying weight became a factor and I no longer used the midi, I bought a 4x. Since I no longer take either out of the house, and I only play seated, I reserve the acoustic for exercises and scales, and for those rare pieces that require all 41 keys. I play the 4x for everything else.

[...] That said, I've been considering trading it in for a Roland FR-1X, as they are the most affordable of the bunch. Would I be missing much going from a full size 41/120 instrument like a 4X or 8X, and how much could I expect to get as far as trade-in value for the Ciao? Is this even a worthwhile pursuit? Thanks a bunch, guys, and gals!

The FR1x (CPA) is good if you are playing simple melodies which stay within an octave or so or you play mostly rhythmic chords to accompany a band. But if your repertoire is more advanced it will probably not be enough. For the FR1x (CPA) you may then have to re-learn your known songs because you may need to transpose them to fit into the short scale. Even in the FR4x I find it sometimes limiting that the scale starts with an "a" instead of an "f". Because of this for some melodies you loose the low octave. Look at your songs / your literature for what you need.

The FR1xb (CBA) is better in this regard: first it is easier to transpose / relearn, second it has more range.

I would recommend a 4x. For trade in prices call Sam Falcetti at Falcetti Music 413 204 5522
Tell him jim D. sent you.

I think overall keyboard size would matter less to me than portability and the ability to play silently at night. The Ciao is great for playing at night, but I've found lately my littlest will want me to play both accordions when we have music time.

I would recommend a 4x. For trade in prices call Sam Falcetti at Falcetti Music 413 204 5522
Tell him jim D. sent you.
I called Sam, and while he did say he hasn't any interest in my Ciao as a trade-in, he did explain to me the benefits of shopping with him and recommended I check out his work with the New England Digital Accordion Orchestra. I guess I can't expect much considering it's essentially a 24 year old piece of equipment. No harm in asking, and at least I have some new stuff to watch for inspiration!

[…] Even in the FR4x I find it sometimes limiting that the scale starts with an "a" instead of an "f".

Of course the FR4x‘s lowest treble note is „g“ !!!
Couldn‘t find peace without correcting my error,

Of course the FR4x‘s lowest treble note is „g“ !!!
Couldn‘t find peace without correcting my error,
If you actually want to correct it, that is what the "Edit" button under a post is for. You won't be able to change quotes from your posts, but as far as I can see, that didn't happen yet.

Look for a good used FR 3X. I love mine, after switching from a Music tech, which was good, but was not easily made wireless. If you are at all adaptable, the loss of the lower F & F# notes won’t really bother you much, if at all… Also with a little fiddling, you can actually get a decent accordion sound from it. It will mimic the Hohner Morino so closely, that I defy you to tell the difference when you hear it. Now working on my Excelsior Symphony imitation. Battery power if you get decent rechargeable batteries for it, will power it all evening. I bought two sets, an a spare holder . So in the unlikely event that the batteries go flat on a gig, it is a one minute job to change them.

Last edited:
OFF TOPIC

If you actually want to correct it, that is what the "Edit" button under a post is for.

Well, that was my intention. Did use "edit" many times before in other posts. But this time there was no "edit" button available o_O. I then thought that maybe "edit" is not possible if the post is kind of old. And yes, I did check if I was logged in.

Back