• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

More bass mastery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dingo40 pid=69259 dateline=1578813540 said:
Is this more Brazilian three-finger bass?

But, it does look as if all four left-hand fingers are in use :huh: 

Another example: :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Another exponent  :)

Hi Dingo,

Looks like the first guy is one of those individuals whose little finger naturally tends to follow his ring finger in movement. Whether he is actually striking the bass buttons with his little finger is open to question. It doesnt look as though he is, but it may just be an optical illusion. We want to think hes using the little finger, as most non Brazilians are taught to use it, but I suppose unless we asked him well possibly never know. 

On the subject of the third and fourth fingers moving in sympathy with each other, over 20 years ago I was in a bad car accident and the major tendon on the back of my right hand, which controls common movement of the third and fourth fingers, was severed. They carried out an emergency op and saved my fingers, but it took years before I was able to work the fingers independently of each other. At that stage I was obliged to bring my right thumb onto the treble keyboard as an almost permanent feature, and my playing suffered terribly as a result. These days I can separate the fingers more easily, but that thumb means my little finger has got lazy and I really need to work hard on it. Ill never regain the flexibility I once had. 

From time to time on here youll hear me mentioning that Ive stopped playing. Thats the reason I do that, its the frustration of not being able to do what I once could. Mind you it was my right hand that sustained the injury, and my left hand has never been much good at all on the accordion. I should have paid more attention to the bass side when I was learning. 

The guy in the last clip often seems to favour his little finger over his index finger, which is pretty unusual. Perhaps he has also suffered a hand injury at some stage.

Hi John,
Thanks fo responding and sharing your experiences and insights: always interesting and informative  :)
As you say, it's very hard to ascertain exactly what he's doing.

We often say: seeing is believing. But I once read a very convincing monograph which set out to prove that, often, believing is seeing! That is, you see what you expect to see, even if the contrary is the objective reality!

This makes it possible for illusionists (magicians)
to make a living!:)

Hi Dingo,

Yea, it's hard to tell, but I agree with John that it looks like at least the 3rd and 4th videos include 4th finger. I also try to use my 4th but it definitely needs strengthening. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back