• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Metsavendade laul

Status
Not open for further replies.
That will sound great. Do the lyrics and images relate to Estonian independence?

Coo... there are a lot of Kalashnikovs.............and I can hear a balalaika tumming away.........a very strangely satisfying instrument..........have you got the score for this or are you trying it a la earole mode ?

Interesting, haven't heard any old Estonian tunes before. Sounds just like you'd expect for our part of the world, great that is :D About a quarter or a third of the lyrics are more or less understandable for a Finn.

Matt Butcher said:
That will sound great. Do the lyrics and images relate to Estonian independence?

Yep! My Estonian isnt perfect but I will try to translate-

Seal metsaserval väikses majas,--- In the forest in a small house
kus elasid mu vanemad. --- where my parents lived
Seal metsaserval väikses majas --- (line 1)
on pesa teinud punased. --- the reds have made nests

Refr. Ai-tših, ai-tšah, ai-tšah, ai-velled, --- (funny noises)
me metsavennad oleme. --- we are forest brothers
Ai-tših, ai-tšah, ai-tšah, ai-velled,
me metsavennad eestlased. --- we are estonian forest brothers

Ja meil ei ole senti raha, --- we dont have a cent of money
me peame metsas elama --- we must live in the woods
ja me ei saa, ei või, ei taha, --- and we cant, we cant, we dont want to
ei taha tiblat teenida. --- dont want to serve the (evil russians)

Ja oma lippu sini-musta-valget --- and our flag, blue-black-white
me ikka au sees hoiame --- we still hold
ning koidikul siis selgitame, --- and at dawn becomes clear
kes on meist õige eestlane. --- which of us is a true estonian

Ja sinu sõstramustad silmad, --- and your blackcurrant eyes
mis võlusid mu südame. --- have won my heart
Ja sinu sõstramustad silmad, --- and your blackcurrint eyes
ei need mul iial unune. --- I will never forget

jarvo said:
Coo... there are a lot of Kalashnikovs.............and I can hear a balalaika tumming away.........a very strangely satisfying instrument..........have you got the score for this or are you trying it a la earole mode ?

Ive got the chords - Im doing the rest by ear, which is a bit of departure for me!

mjh said:
Interesting, havent heard any old Estonian tunes before. Sounds just like youd expect for our part of the world, great that is :D About a quarter or a third of the lyrics are more or less understandable for a Finn.

:D I like Estonian music. Yeah the languages are so similar! Last year in Finland I kept thinking everyone was speaking Estonian. I think I can tell them apart after 2 years of living here, but its not easy!

Trying to connect threads on Baltic politics and accordion music, wonder if Kuunkuiskaajat would consider doing Säkkijärven Polkka?

Pippa, that must've felt strange :p I have a feeling that Estonians understand Finnish much better than the other way around. Relatively often you see Estonians interviewed on the telly, and speaking almost perfect Finnish. There's room for improvement on our part for sure!

Donn, I can't see why not, if you arrange the gig ;) Hm, but how does Baltic politics come into the picture?

OK, not strictly Baltic, but Säkkijärvi is only a few miles from Estonia. For the political connection, I dont know Finnish, you decide - . But there are dozens of instrumental-only accordion renditions also, it really is a great tune. I feel sure that theyre well acquainted with it.

The English language Wikipedia entry says ... popular with Finnish accordionists to the extent that it can be called their national anthem. Which seems to say there is a nation of Finnish accordionists? and there was apparently a movie named after the song (is also the title of the eponymous film, they redundantly inform us.) And theres more - when the Finns needed to run down the batteries of radio controlled mines left in Viipuri (Vyborg) by the Soviet army, they used this tune, nonstop for several months, possibly the first military use of the accordion?

Säkkijärven polkka is basically about longing for the land lost to Soviet Union in WWII. It is a loaded song, so to speak. You're right that they're most likely acquainted with it, it's the one tune that every advanced level accordion player here is expected to know how to play. Personally, I don't care for polkas that much. Hm, I suppose Säkkijärvi could be a nation for accordionists everywhere, if only Russia were to kindly give it back ;) Haven't seen the movie, seems to be about one of the first Finnish accordion virtuoso's. Aaand this is way offtopic :oops:

Well, you can see my attempt over in I did that!

On the topic of Finnish polkas though, I just love... <3

Hm, if I'd have to name a Finnish polka I like, "Iitin tiltu" (Tiltu of Iitti) would be one.. There was this meme involving Ievan polkka, I never really understood what was going on there!

Attachments

• Fly Me To The Moon.pdf
    36.2 KB · Views: 39
I have to admit finding it via the meme, yes :D I dont think youre really supposed to understand it. But its an excellent tune. Im also a Korpiklaani fan :D

Right, that video combines both a genre of music and a tune that I'm just not that keen on, so I'll just shut up now :D

mjh said:
Right, that video combines both a genre of music and a tune that Im just not that keen on, so Ill just shut up now :D

:D

Pippa said:
Well, you can see my attempt over in I did that!

On the topic of Finnish polkas though, I just love... <3

Heres a link to the sheet music to the Levan Polka.
I think Ill give it a try on my CBA.
Worse that can happen is I break a finger nail.

http://sheethost.com/sheet/UQ4b5U

Ieva is correct, it means Eeva in Savonian dialect. Guess at some point someone decided that the original name must be a typo. Now, if only Loituma hadn't spoiled it for me with their silly a cappella version..

Seriously? I LOVE Loutima's a capella version!! Guess we aren't really seeing eye to eye here mjh... :lol:

Mmmm.
Some of these are starting to sound the same..... :?
Certainly some similarities in the middle 8 (or is it 4), even to my untrained ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.