• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

ideal temperature for pa storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smdc66

with the recent spell of hot weather hitting new highs (for the uk) getting close to 30c etc and being hotter indoors at times (esp south facing rooms) has any one thought it is too hot for the accordion whilst in storage :cool:

i know it should avoid extremes of temperatures and i often refer to room temperature being suitable but this can be extreme :!:

i wonder what the ideal temperatures should be for storage? :idea:

i also wonder if its hotter in its box and might be better with a cloth draped over it unboxed

i wouldnt like to transport it in my boot too far either with high temperatures (other week was nearly 50c when got in my car - after it had been left parked in the drive way for most of a hot day) :ugeek:

I dont think a warm room that a human can stand would do any harm.
In a car, smaller space, relatively more glass, darker colours, less air movement, in strong sun could bring the wax to melting temp tho'.
In fact I'd tend keep it out of full sun in any circumstances as I'm pretty sure it wont do the celluloid any favours, either.

I keep all mine out on shelves, in the study, towels draped to keep dust off - and give 'em a play regularly.

for normal uk storage a normal centrally heated room is fine and boxes will stand far higher temperatures than we normally experience I keep mine in their cases when not being played.

Its cold and damp conditons that can cause problems so avoid the 'shed' the loft and the outside bog! I kid you not _ I have come across boxes that have been stored in all of the aforementioned places with disarsterous results ( as those of a southern disposition would say!)

george

Yeah, I lent an accordion to someone once and they left it in the shed for a year. When I took it out, it was covered in mould and the wood was so swollen with moisture, you couldn't press any of the keys! I wasn't too bothered though as it only cost a fiver from a car boot sale and was complete crap to start with.

As for the heat, what do they do in hot places? Do Cajuns, or even Calabrians, suddenly find out all their reeds have fallen out while they're playing?

Matt Butcher said:
As for the heat, what do they do in hot places? Do Cajuns, or even Calabrians, suddenly find out all their reeds have fallen out while theyre playing?

Soprani made models for the hot climate labeled anti tropic. There is a Isreali dealer that lists them on ebay from time to time. I dont know what the differences are - but Id guess therell be a higher melting point wax?

It was a spammer, George. Gone now.

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk 2

Knobby, I havn't a clue what tapatalk 2 is but am wondering whether it automatically sends 2 of whatever?!?

george ;)

You can custom order some brands of accordions or have your accordion modified for use in hotter climates. An accordion that is modified has its reed wax removed and then then leather gaskets are fasten to the reed blocks and the reeds are attached will nails or screws. I modified a Titano Cosmopolitan some years ago for a customer who wanted to perform with his accordion on gigs he had in Las Vegas, NV and safely transport his accordion in his auto. JIM D.

george garside said:
Knobby, I havn't a clue what tapatalk 2 is but am wondering whether it automatically sends 2 of whatever?!?

george ;)

Tapatalk is a smartphone app for accessing forums like this one. The formatting is much better than using the smartphone browser, and posting, etc. is much easier. It doesn't automatically post things twice - that was my stupid fingers! :oops:

Italy must be warmer than a lot of places boxes are sent so the heat for Italian made cannot be too bad. Certainly no chance of any heat stroke in my house. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back