• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Manufacture years of Hohner Pirola III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have piano accordion Hohner Pirola III. I would like to know what are the years of manufacture of this accordion?

My main box is a 1959 Hohner Lucia IV P.
I gave it a full overhaul after I bought it about 2 years back and it's as good as new.

Somebody with more experience will have to comment about 'frequent maintenance' but from what I've read a decent box should be only need maintenance every 10+ years, unless you're a professional musician when you probably get the tuning checked much more frequently.

My main box is a 1959 Hohner Lucia IV P.
I gave it a full overhaul after I bought it about 2 years back and it's as good as new.

Somebody with more experience will have to comment about 'frequent maintenance' but from what I've read a decent box should be only need maintenance every 10+ years, unless you're a professional musician when you probably get the tuning checked much more frequently.
I have Hohner Pirola III piano accordion, that I purchased at MIC in Toronto in December 2019, and It has many issues with air leaking though pallets and bad compression overall. Last maintenance was conducted by warranty in April 2020 to fix air leaking issues and improve sound, airtightness, etc, but no any improvements of this maintenance I didn't notice, unfortunately. Is it worth to refurbish it or exchange on another accordion. What option will be good for this case?

Last edited:
Jerry Accordion,
Hmm, quite a pleasing sound
Pity If it's currently not working well.
Probably could be fixed??
Good luck with it!?
As to life span, accordions are a bit like axes in this story:
A man speaking of his heritage axe said, " It's had three new heads and five new handles. Apart from that, it's as good as new!"?
In that spirit, I have a 70+ year old Busilacchio 41/120 LMM PA, which is still "as good as new!"?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. What's the life span of accordions? How long can they work without frequent maintenance?
That’s a lot like asking how long will an automobile “work” without frequent maintenance: it depends on how much you drive, how hard you push it, how old it is, how well it has been maintained, and what your performance demands/expectations are! ;)

I’m only an amateur player and I do not perform my own maintenance. I only take my boxes for maintenance every 5-10 years unless I notice an obvious problem that needs more immediate attention. But my tolerance for “slightly” out-of-tune reeds and other minor annoyances is quite high in comparison to professionals. Most pros, as I understand it, get tuning and general maintenance performed on their accordion at least once, if not twice, a year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back