• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Make a new, adjustable bass strap

Status
Not open for further replies.

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
DSCF9191.JPGWhen my Hohner Studiosa II arrived last week I noticed that the bass strap isn't adjustable. A quick search through the forum and it appears that their are a number of accordions which have this type of non-adjustable bass strap. This strap is simply screwed to each end of the accordion.
To adjust this strap you would need to cut it to the correct length which I didn't like the idea of; cut it just a little too short and it's scrap! Also if you sell the accordion then the bass strap may not be suitable for the next owner.

I found some adjustable ones for sale by Hohner which were a two-piece design using velcro to secure the strap once adjusted. They were cheap enough at around €5, but postage was an additional €12 and I must admit that I've never been much of a fan of velcro. So I decided to make my own simple, adjustable bass strap which does not require any sewing (because I can't sew!) and would be cheap and easy to make. I took a few photos as I worked and decided to make this little tutorial for anyone else who wants to have a go at making one too. (Double-click on the pictures to make them bigger).
But first... A WARNING!

If you follow this tutorial, you do so at your own risk. I accept no responsibility if you hurt yourself, trash your accordion, set fire to your granny, etc. etc. OK?

Right then here's a list of what you will need:
MaterialsTools
Polypropylene webbing ( 1 - 1.5m depending on the size of your accordion)Screwdrivers
1 off Tri-glide (or 3 bar slide, same width as your webbing)Scissors
Pliers
A nail (or similar)
Something to make fire (matches, lighter, etc.)
Vice (recommended) or an assistant

DSCF9193.JPGThe width of webbing and tri-glide you need will depend on the width of your existing strap. Mine was 35mm but finding webbing this size was difficult so I opted for 32mm so it fit within the chrome "keeps" for the existing strap. Start off by removing the screws securing the original strap to the accordion, then removing the "keeps" from the strap. They may be glued on so may need to be prised off.

Cut a length of webbing approx. 20cm long (but check what length you need). Run a flame across the cut edges of the webbing to melt the cut fibres so they don't fray. Run the flame across quite quickly so you only melt the loose fibres and not much of the webbing itself. Be careful when touching the melted ends of the webbing; for a few seconds it is very hot and will stick to you fingers and burn (ask me how I know this!).
Thread your webbing around the centre bar of your tri-glide, then fold one end over the other so you end up with triple thickness webbing at the opposite end to the tri-glide.
DSCF9196.JPGDSCF9195.JPG

Fit the metal "keep" over the folded ends of the webbing, then secure it in a vice or get an assistant to hold it for you. Find a nail (or other metal item) of a similar diameter to the holes in your "keeps" and grip it with your pliers. Heat the nail with your matches/lighter and when hot push it through the holes in the "keep" and through the webbing. Rotate the nail while you push it through the webbing to spread the melted polypropylene around the hole you have made. You may need to re-heat the nail a couple of times while you do this - you want to make sure the nail has melted a hole in the webbing and not just pushed through it.
Once you've done this you can screw this part of your strap back onto your accordion.
DSCF9198.JPGDSCF9201.JPG

DSCF9199.JPGCut another length of webbing 70cm long (adjust for your accordion) and again run the flame across the cut ends as before. Fold the end of the webbing over so you have triple thickness of webbing at the end then fit the keep over the fold.

Using the same technique as with the short strap, melt the holes through the webbing. Once you've made the holes you can screw this strap to your accordion.

Feed the long strap through the bottom of the tri-glide, over the centre bar and out of the top. You can now use this to adjust the strap to you liking. At this stage make the strap just a fraction too tight. Once you are happy feed the end of the webbing over the top of the centre bar of the tri-glide and back through the bottom slot (this efectively locks the webbing around the tri-glide and stops it moving).
DSCF9202.JPGDSCF9203.JPG

Pull on the bass strap to take up the slack in the tri-glide (which is why you made it a little tight earlier) and you're done! (y)
DSCF9204.JPG

Nice diy job. A wider strap would probably be even more comfortable.
It's no surprise that Hohner (and other manufacturers) have done away with the adjustable straps on beginner models. The motto is: produce as cheaply as possible and sell for as much as possible!

It's no surprise that Hohner (and other manufacturers) have done away with the adjustable straps on beginner models. The motto is: produce as cheaply as possible and sell for as much as possible!
I'm not sure if they've done away with. I don't every recollect seeing any with adjustable straps, certainly none of the 'student' CBA 40-48 bass models I've owned. They all dated to the 50's and one was late 30's. I'm sure somebody will correct me with numerous examples, but personally I haven't seen any.
As an aside, I used to cut to length replacement straps from leather belts I had purchased from charity shops for a few pence. Invariably thicker and of better quality than the 'issue' Hohner original strap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back