• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Advice needed on straps adjustable easily for shared playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windstrel

Reaction score
Hi

We are both enjoying playing our new to us Paul Beuscher CBA but my other half, being a lovely lady, is somewhat less broad-shouldered than myself and we are having problems with shoulder strap settings, especially when we are out playing when we would like to be able to share the playing of the CBA. My other half is an experienced violinist and I play a handy sax so duetting with the CBA with both violin or sax is very much where we want to be.

The shoulder straps that came with the CBA which are  comfortable and solid are very difficult to adjust even for home practice and even more so when out playing.

Solutions we've thought up include me only using the right hand strap as I've seen some squeezebox players do, but that might only work for smaller instruments.

We've contemplated having two sets of straps permanently attached to the one accordion but suspect this could be uncomfortable if sitting back on a chair.

Advice would be very welcome as currently I'm restricted to playing our other accordion (the FR3 XB) which doesn't have the volume or presence for playing out without further amplification we find and anyway carrying around two accordions when we only want to play one is too cumbersome.

Thanks in advance ?

My wife and I often share our bass accordion (a CBA) and I sometimes play on her accordion(s), but that's never 100% as comfortable as my own. The trick to be able to switch quickly is an extension to the back strap. When my wife plays the bass accordion she uses the factory-installed back strap which has clips in the center, like commonly found on backpacks. When I play I add an "extension strap" using the same type and size of clips. We found a setting of the shoulder straps such that the using or not using the extension strap for the backstrap is the only difference needed.
My wife also has two regular CBA accordions, one a bit smaller than the other. I can play these using her shoulder strap settings, by not using the back strap she uses. For the smallest accordion I put a block of wood under my left leg to lift the accordion to a more comfortable position.

So the main trick is to leave the shoulder straps in a position you can both use and to vary only the use or length of the back strap.

You could do the same as Paul suggests with he adjustable backstraps from http://www.accordionbackstrap.com/

Thereby you can use the same shoulder settings and use the backstraps for adjustment.

Good luck!

Tom pid=66802 dateline=1566750747 said:
You could do the same as Paul suggests with he adjustable backstraps from http://www.accordionbackstrap.com/

Thereby you can use the same shoulder settings and use the backstraps for adjustment.    

Good luck!

These may still take too long to adjust if you want to quickly switch between songs.
But there is another alternative: you can easily make your own belt-like backstrap (from fabric, not leather) that just goes around and is then secured with velcro. So it loops around the pair of shoulder straps, you pull it as tight as you want and then because of a long strip of velcro you just fix it at any desired length. My wife once put such a backstrap together, about 4 inches wide (but 2 or 3 would also do fine). She is very good with the sewing machine. But it is just a beginners job. Im sure I could do it myself if I tried (and probably without breaking the sewing machine).

A horse apiece.

jozz pid=66808 dateline=1566802884 said:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/hohner_accordion_straps.html

these nylon/cloth type straps can be adjusted on the fly, in a second or two, when you are wearing them (like you would adjust a backpack strap)

might be a solution? I use these to micro adjust to avoid certain pain points when playing longer periods

Hi Jozz . Thanks for your suggestion. The link takes me through to a page of straps. Can you identify which specific one works for you or perhaps all.

they all have the same properties, basically any strap with the backpack style nylon and buckles

i have the Morino Ergoline which suit my tiny 32 bass very well

the Neotech i use as well, they also work like that

Hi

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We tried a number of things but finally settled on fitting the shoulder straps for me leaving the backstrap unconnected and then when my other half wants to play it she connects the backstrap which then tightens the shoulder straps so they fit her.

A lot of trial and error, including attempts with velcro and we needed to modify the backstrap to shorten it but success eventually ?

I really hope you checked out the easily used and eminently adjustable accordionbackstrap.com. I think it would suit your ask perfectly and could be used by both of you. (No affiliation with the product, just think they would be the best solution for you).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back