• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Mahogany piano accordion body?

The worst scratch is always the worst - car/guitar.....accodion? People tend to look after their instruments and the damage question hardly ever arrives..........except for a gigging guitarist friend of mine who was awarded a new guitar as he had sold so many. After his first gig with this guitar he pitched up asking if I could mend the headstock....... He ran it over in a dark car park!. It went back together fine until it was kicked off its stand and broke the headstock again - just beside the glue line - so a couple of dowels were needed!..........Everything gains patina as it ages - even people! Enjoy a beautiful mahogany instrument.......

Attachments

• Mikey.jpeg
    Mikey.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 11
I'm attracted to the sound of a Serenellini Jet piano accordion. The entire body and even the black keys are mahogany. My concern is durability. Scratches, delicate grill, etc. could be prone to crack, damage, more so than other materials. Opinions?

I think mahogany is one of the denser hardwoods, though not as hard as the grenadilla (African blackwood) used for woodwind instruments, and wonder if it would add much to the weight of an accordion.

Back