• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Loud bass

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

goldtopia

I have bought a bran new Weltmeister Rubin from Thomanns. I have had one before so I knew the bass would be a bit loud. I have blocked some of the sound holes but its still too loud. If I block all the sound holes I wonder if it could cause some damage and void the 3 year guarantee. Blocking all the sound holes would put more air through the treble requiring less pressure on the bellows and make the bass less loud. I would like the opinions from our experts as to what they think are the best options.

Many accordion models have been designed with bass plates without sound holes to reduce the bass reed volume. The air flow then comes from the bass button openings. Blocking your sound holes should muffle your sound without eliminating air flow.

Congrats, Bill. Hope it's brill for you..!

Thanks, I dont think covering all the sound holes should do the job. The sound would then come through the treble side and through the bellows fabric as well as the buttons. I had thought of grommets but cant find any for 5mm holes.

If it is cable grommets you could try http://uk.rs-online.com/ . They do small ones or Maplins if there is one near you., or local motor factors. Or if it is plug grommets they may also do them.. If you have already looked there and exhausted a search.....then my apologies. Best wishes.

Bill, on both our Rubin and my Kristall (when I had it) we cut out some panels of thin (but non-hairy and bits-free) felt and taped them inside the bass board using masking tape. Two similar sized panels can be made to fit quite nicely. Masking tape lets you try different materials, it being readily removed without any residue.

We experimented with various materials both porous and non porous e.g. rigid plastic, flexible plastic foam (NOT styrofoam obviously which falls into hundreds of alarming bits) cloth etc, but found that fairly dense but thin felt was easily the most effective and in the end we covered all of the holes. Black felt was best as it did not show through.

Like you we were quite bothered about whether any harm to the instrument might result (should have asked on here eh) so we were happiest with some porosity in the felt for that reason too.

It was pretty successful in damping down the bass sound although I suspect the effect unsurprisingly was more pronounced on the upper frequencies, than the lower ones, the opposite to what we wanted really.

I removed the panels from the Kristall before I sold it. With the Rubin, which is not often played, we removed the panels too in the end. Somehow, after a few hours playing, the heavy bass seems to moderate, don't know why. Maybe you simply get accustomed to it.

Anyway, good luck and happy playing with your new one. They are amazing value and really good little boxes we think.

Regards, Rob.

I would not cover all the sound holes. You can put some felt over them (on the inside, making it invisible) to muffle the sound. And you should ask people about the sound: what you hear while you play is not representative of what the audience hears! The bass may not be too loud for the audience.

Thanks , the felt idea seems to be the best one. There's a Maplins not far from here, I'll have a look to see what they have got.

I can't comment on the weltmeister but often the player will hear something completely different to the listener. My Vignoni S bass sounds unbearably loud from behind it but when someone else plays it, it sounds perfectly balanced. Just a thought. Make sure someone is with you to provide the listener's perspective.

And if you haven't got someone whose opinion you trust, record it with a freestanding mic and listen to how it sounds on playback.

I have covered a third of the holes which seems to have done the job. I know a lot of the sound comes through the bellows fabric which is about 6 inches away. I wear two hearing aids, turning down the volume also makes a difference. When I get the felt I'll it try internally on a third or more of the holes. The Rubin is small and light, just the job for my ageing body. The compact keys are no problem which takes 5 or 10 minutes to get used to.

Couldn't you have turned the left hearing aid down...? :lol:
What did you use to cover the holes, Bill?

I don't wear my aids as they give a buzzing noise. It does make it difficult to know what the quality of sound should be/is. It is a problem as to what you sound like to others when playing. Best wishes.

Just turning down the left hearing aid only doesn't work, it has to be both. I have the latest NHS hearing aids which don't buzz. The older ones I used to have use to buzz on certain notes. These are better, a bit stereophonic and sometimes pick up background noises, turning the volume down eliminates it, as the accordion is loud anyway thats not a problem but not so good when listeing to someone talking. If playing with another person, violin or guitar they have to amplify to match the volume of the accordion. I have temporarily covered the holes externally with tape. I will try the felt idea internally. Playing the piano I can use the hearing aids at normal volume with no problems as the piano a Technics has adjustable volume as well as different adjustments for different types of piano, grand upright, harpsichord, etc. as well as changing the tone for each of them. I think the advantage of electronic pianos' for hearing aids even on tremelo is that there are no reeds that vibrate against each other to make the tremolo which can play tricks with some hearing aids. I think the Roland accordions would have this same advantage being electronic with similar functions to electronic pianos. Though for me Rolands are too heavy and the bellows too stiff. I know there are a lot of older players like me who have hearing aids. I think this makes us more susceptable to sound quality and tone.

I also have 2 of the NHS latest hearing aids and can in effect turn either treble of bass end of the box up or down. The problem is that you then have no indication of what anybody else listening is hearing

george

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back