• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Lord Lovat's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveGD

Could anyone help with the notes and chords for Lord Lovat's Lament? I could only find music for bagpipes on the web.

Thanks
DaveD

Hi Rebeka, thanks for the quick reply. I did check out the Session site but unfortunately the music does not have chords.

Thanks
DaveD

The abcnotation one does - or are you looking for a full bass line like a piano score?

There are four fakebook style tunes in folktunefinder.com - 2 showing the chords (by name)
The best version I have come across is that by Ian Lothian in his book Scottish Folk Tunes. This one is not free but I can recommend this book if you like to do some work with the left hand
Garth

Dave - I have sent you a pm

As it was written as a melody only pipe tune 3 chords will work ok. However 4 is even better! so if playing in ,say, G use CGDA, maybe using A7 ere and there instead of plain A1

To find what goes best were just play it through very slowly ,holding a note where necessary, whilst you experiment to see which of the 3 or 4 chords sounds best - then remember what goes where

there is a nice recording of Jimmy Shands version on youtube. If listening to it on a laptop use decent headphones as it will sound a lot better

George ;)

I agree with Artelagro, the Ian Lowthian version is great. His book of 'Scottish Folk Tunes' is still available in music shops and is well worth buying.

Pete

Thanks all for the latests replies. I will check out Ian's book.

Dave

not so sure about the efficacy of the ''rhythmic air'' description. It originated a slow march as in funeral march or guess what a lament! It is owever often played as a normal 4/4 march

george

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back