• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Loose Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nathen

Here's a great tip for fixing loose bellows pins that I got from my accordion repair man, Ricky Mann. I had a very loose pin on one of my accordions and lost it on a trip out. I had some other pins that were also loose. Ricky gave me a stick of beeswax and told me to push the loose pins into it. It forms a coating on the pins, which sticks them firmly into position without glueing them shut so they are easily removed when required.

nathen

I have an instrument with this problem too.

I must caution anyone with a situation of loose bellows pins to please ignore this so called great tip. Tight fitting bellows pins provide proper pressure on the bellows gasket to retain compression. In most cases applying small drops of water with an eyedropper to the bellows pin holes in the bellows and accordion case holes will cause the wood to swell and provide a tight fit. If wax is applied in these holes any attempt to swell the wood will be lost. In the past 40 years I have received many accordions for repair that have this so called fix applied and to correct the loose pins and leaks requires refilling the holes re-drilling for new pins and new bellows gasket. An improper fix will result in more labor and parts to correct and more cost to the customer. Regards: JIM D.

hope you dont mind me asking :|

so if beeswax wasnt water repellant it would be ok for a fix

or something like beeswax if anything exists or does this need to be invented

i'm just looking for other quick fix idea that doesnt incur problems (i have never taken my main accordion apart and dont want to really and affect the compression etc in other ways or cause other problems by doing this)

or would using the water dropper technique without taking apart help a bit too?

If you remove the pins to apply the water swelling method the accordion will dismantle automatically. When an accordion is first made the sections are drilled for pins without bellows gasket. Bellows gasket is then applied and the pins re-installed making a good seal. A loose pin will result in a loose seal. You have to attempt to swell the wood to bring back a proper fit. If the holes cannot be returned to original the gasket will leak and the fix your left with is removal of the old gasket -- filling the holes and re-drill or re-drill for larger pins and a new gasket applied.

Interesting, thanks for your input Jim D. Rickey Mann has been around as an entertainer and piano and accordion repair man for as long as you have. Although, given your experience, your explanation makes more sense. I find it odd that he wouldnt know what seems like basic knowledge. Well I suppose we all have blind spots somewhere. Heres Rickeys website that gives some idea of his experience.

http://www.rickeymann.com

I therefore took him at his word on this and wanted to pass it on. After fixing the loose pin this way it was tighter. Does this mean it is going to get loose again? I hope I havent made a bad choice here. Im going to contact Rickey and get his explanation for this.
Anyway, Ill let you know what he says. Im going to refer him to your explanation on the forum.

Thanks again Jim for shedding some light on this problem shared by many owners.

nathen

Loose pins are the result of the movement of poor fitting bellows to the case itself. If the correction is not done properly the movement will still be present and cause the holes to enlarge. Loose pins will in all makes and models result in a loss of compression. Have your repairman visit the - http://www.accordionrevival.com/ - website - he just might learn something. Musically yours; JIM D. ... P.S. While your there take a look at the recommended repair sites to find one in your area.

Thanks again Jim. This is another example of why I really like this forum. Someone is always there when you really need expert advice.

nathen

ALWAYS go with the least invasive and easiest reversible option first, especially if you're trying it y'self..

Ed ; I must admit I agree with your comment, it's like the old fable of the kid that sticks his finger in the dam to stop the leak. Regards: JIM D.

JIM D. said:
Loose pins will in all makes and models result in a loss of compression.

what are some of the symptoms of this loss of compression to look for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back