• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

LMMM with high reed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible typo. It either isn't LMMM as registers suggest it's LMMH.
Or the H reed has been replaced with a M, in which case I'm sure Nigel should have said.

Why not message him and see what he says about it.

But looking at the photo there is a musette registration with 3 Ms and two other registrations with a H in them and so the correct description must be LMMMH surely?

wirralaccordion post_id=52303 time=1510181678 user_id=2229 said:
But looking at the photo there is a musette registration with 3 Ms and two other registrations with a H in them and so the correct description must be LMMMH surely?
Yep - I looked at the master and read the text - didnt notice the additional key with MMM.

LMMMH would normally have more register switches, so I guess it almost certainly is a conversion, and has no H reed.

The master will play LMMM, even though its marked LMMH.

Youd have to message him to clarify for sure.

I wonder what the button marked CONCERT will play then?

Maybe it is a 5 voice. My morino has all the same switches as a regular lmmh accordion but it is 5 reeds. The only switches that use the mmm is the violin and masterswitch. though im not 100 percent sure about the master since that switch doesnt have any markings on it. Never bothered to check under the grill what it activated since i assumed it was lmmmh.

Picture

Attachments

• IMG_20170819_002934.jpg
    IMG_20170819_002934.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,070
Phil,

The box is LMMM as described by the seller, and has no piccolo or "H" reeds.

For whatever reason, Crucianelli have used two coupler switches from LMMH accordions for the Master and Concert settings. "Concert" is the same as the "Brilliant" coupler on your Brandoni, i.e. it will give you the sharp and flat tuned flute reeds together.

Accordions with three voice musette (LMMM) seemed to have caused Italian makers no end of trouble when it came to finding names for all of the possible register combinations on such instruments, and many of them merely devised their own terminology and register switch symbols for whatever they thought their buyers would prefer.

Check out the dots on the "Celeste" switch and you'll see that they have placed one of the dots slightly higher than the other to indicate you are selecting the straight and sharp tuned flutes in combination. The term "celeste" is commonly used in France and Italy to illustrate that option.

There does not appear to have been any "standard" method of naming coupler combinations, and you get all sorts of weird and wonderful names chosen at the whim of the maker.

In a very prompt answer to my question via eBay, which included asking whether it may be 5 voice -

"hi it is a 4 voice that has been retuned from LMMH to LMMM I hope this helps.
regards
nigel"

Thanks SS,

I do believe I have seen an LMMM with similar if not identical coupler switches years ago, but your findings indicate that it was probably also a conversion. My mother told me not to believe Hans Christian Andersen's stories when I was a kid, and I should have taken her advice.

I've not been on here much lately as I have absolutely no knowledge at all about most of the topics being discussed, and this thread has only served to illustrate that further.

Glad you've managed to solve the riddle.

colinm post_id=52318 time=1510252985 user_id=134 said:
Is it possible to retune from LMMH to LMMM, must need some deep scraping

This cannot be done through just tuning.
It requires replacing the reeds and thus also reed plates by bigger ones, and it is likely that these will not fit on the existing reed block without changing the holes...
WIth luck the H reeds are on one side of a reed block that has M reeds on the other side. Then it may be possible to enlarge the holes and fit the larger reed plates. But if there is one reed block that has the H reeds on both sides then that whole block will be too small. (On my Morino Artiste XS for instance the H reeds are all on one block and they could definitely not be replaced by M reeds.)

I knew that question would come up, but it's a one line eBay message question and reply - not a blog.

How it got to it's modified condition, when and whether it's an acceptable outcome is up to interested parties to follow up on.

Nigel won't have done the work, he'll have bought it or taken it p/ex so may not know the full story, but he's a reputable dealer - he must have some faith in its current condition... but DYOR & caveat emptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back