• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Limex V3 desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim the box

Have any of you guys got or tried the Limex V3 desktop? It seems to be the next generation of expander with foot switches to alter the way notes are played. It is fairly expensive at £1500 but it worth the money? I'm interested in the Scottish module.

I cannot speak from personal experience, just what I read on the net and what I hear and see on YouTube.

My personal opinion... the first thing one does is look at it, and already I am put off by it. A limited size, poorly designed screen layout and cheap plastic covered buttons that will crack over time and reminds me of the Timex computer module of the 70s is what I see. The layout is not even close to being intuitive, looks clunky and slow. Changing modes In between songs looks painful and long. To its credit, the size is small, though for me (and only my opinion), size is less important than flexibility. If they gave a better button layout, nicer screen, I would not mind if they made it 4 times larger.

Next, the sound... well, I dont hear anything special or different from it than what I saw in other modules, but I did not do extensive research there. With just what I saw, in terms of audio, I would place it up there in the top 5 modules out there for accordions (not that there are even 10 options out there for us... lol). It does have a midi in-out-thru, so if that is your thing, thats nice to have.

You said you were mostly interested in the Scottish module, and for this, I think it may have an edge over other modules out there, so that is a strong point in your favor for you.

Price is where it really turns me off. Compared to a similar Roland BK7m, it is about 50% more expensive if you include the Scottish module.

Have you seen the YouTube video? Unless I am mistaken, it is given by someone with a bit of a Scottish accent. :)

I have had the V3 Desktop for about 6 months.
I bought it because of the vast range of the Celtic module and the quality of the sounds.
The decision has been reinforced by the unstinting quality of the support I have been offered

I agree that the module case does look as if it has emerged from an enthusiasts work shop but it is robust and works well..the comments about the quality of the operating buttons is quite unfounded...and is none the worse for being manufactured by, and for, midi enthusiasts.

The main UK supplier is a Scottish musician of great experience in the midi field, a man of great patience with clients during the early learning period.

I have never regretted my purchase and, although I drive the V3 with a Roland with its many good voices, because of my penchant for Celtic sounds, pipes, harps, whistles etc. I don't use the Rolands' sounds much.

The 'Artist's Sounds' on the V3 have to be experienced for their authenticity.
Magnificent.

Foot switches allow four different arrangements of instruments to be used in a piece, with different fill-ins and endings, and is very versatile and programmable.
The unit is more expensive than the BK7M - which I had prior to the V3 and which I liked - but is of a different nature completely.

Any one needing more explanation should visit Roy Hendries' site or the YouTube tutorials "V3 Desktop - How to Videos".

Thankyou TW, it's always better to have a review from experience and I greatly appreciate your input :tup:

It may not be related to the needs of someone who is in your two areas of interest, but if I could ask you TW, if you wanted to change from a Polka to a Waltz, how long does it take you to make that change? This is not for the reason of putting it down or anything, I am just genuinely curious.

Thanks... and thanks for accepting my comments in the manner of a NON-owner. :)

With your background you will know that there isnt just one right answer, and these are perhaps too simplistic - but brief!

If the V3 is used to provide an instrument (or layers of instrumentation) without auto-accompaniment then it is the same as an acoustic.
Just change your own fingered accordion bass rhythm!

If you want to use auto-accompaniment then this clip is definitive:

You might save the styles you want in a user folder and they are then available on the opening register selection - 2 clicks max.

With the V3 most things are adjustable to suit your wishes.

I love his accent, its so different from what I hear in Montreal.

Thanks for the video, it answers my question very well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back