• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Key cover broken end repair

Reaction score
This is an old but beautiful accordion I would guess from the 30s/40s. One key end was broken off. I made a saw cut through the plastic back an eighth of an inch so as to reveal a little more of the wood so as to have a little more glue surface. Cut a piece of plastic that matches decently. Duco cement..airplane plastic glue….and glued it on and sanded/polished. Looks just fine. Give the old accordion a new life of playing music.

Attachments

• IMG_2370.jpeg
    IMG_2370.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2371.jpeg
    IMG_2371.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Very nice job. Not even a hint of where the crack once was.
Lucky that there are some small tiny crack lines in some of the keys from the celluloid contracting. Makes the repair much less noticeable. When joining celluloid, if you put the duco cement on both ends and let it soften the plastic, when you join the two pieces, you rub the ends together and the celluloid will soften and fuse together reducing the glue line.

Back