• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Just picked up ( on eBay) a 1930ish Lambarti . I don’t play but am looking to learn !first need to learn some history of this model

Reaction score
IMG_0904.png

Attachments

• IMG_0924.png
    IMG_0924.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0921.png
    IMG_0921.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0926.png
    IMG_0926.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0912.png
    IMG_0912.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0918.png
    IMG_0918.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0906.png
    IMG_0906.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0907.png
    IMG_0907.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
It’s a prewar high/low box. While they look nice they are usually at the age where they need significant work done to make them reliable useful instruments again. Based on how the straps and bellows tape looks I think it is likely it hasn’t seen a professional repair person in a long time. As reed wax ages it dries out and becomes brittle and the instrument is prone to having reeds fall out of their block when the instrument is played or transported, the leather reed valves also dry out and don’t function correctly causing notes to choke and go out of tune, and all these issues are on top of normal tuning shifts and potential compression issues. This could all be repaired but it is not an insignificant undertaking, and can cost more than purchasing a newer instrument with more features that already in ok shape. I like how these old instruments sound when in good repair but for someone interested in studying the instrument a smarter investment would be for something newer that’s already in playable/reliable shape.

Good luck with the research and welcome.
A quick search throws up useful info: seems you really have a German Hohner?
Maybe Lombardi was used when'Hohner Made in Germany' wasn't a natural selling point!
It looks to be from around the right era.
I see they crop up for sale in a playable state:

and elsewhere

If it plays ok, go for it! You'll learn far more with an accordion in your hands than you ever will online!
As Ben-jammin says, it may not be worth putting more money into this instrument but the main thing is to start playing and if it does that for you it's great.
A nice thing about instruments of this era is that they're quite light for the number of piano-keys and basses.
If you find some things difficult or frustrating it may be you or it may be the accordion. All part of the process.
Good luck and enjoy!

Back