• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Jimmy Shand does jazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maugein96

Sorry Scotland,

I promised you all a while ago that the Bluebell Polka is known by other names, and when I found out what it was Id let you know. Problem was I couldnt remember what those other names were. 

Well, I was looking at some old Louis Ferrari stuff today, and guess what I found? 

I found the same Louis Ferrari playing Coquelicot Polka (Poppy Polka), but the tuning of his box on that track was dire and I gave it a miss.

However, here it is as played by the Jerry Jerome Quartet.

I rather like this version, but Im sure Jimmy would have had a heart attack if he had heard them:-

There had to be another more Scottish version, and sure enough here is good old Verchuren giving it laldy, as they say up here:- 

I definitely dont like this one, but at least Verchu shaves 27 seconds off Jimmys version.

I like both those versions !.  The tune bluebell polka was not composed by JImmy Shand   but the fifties   version that  was in the top ten of the charts was his arrangement thereof.  He also recorded it in the thirties as the 'little pet polka''  . I don't know when it was originally composed or who it was composed by,

george

george garside pid=63898 dateline=1549656549 said:
I like both those versions !.  The tune bluebell polka was not composed by JImmy Shand   but the fifties   version that  was in the top ten of the charts was his arrangement thereof.  He also recorded it in the thirties as the little pet polka  . I dont know  when it was originally composed or who it was composed by,

george

Hi George,

Im sure Ive heard the tune played somewhere else under another title, but again I cannot remember what it was called. 

Andre Verchuren made a credible job of it, but I must be one of the few who never really really appreciated the sound of his accordions. 

Im sure I read somewhere that the tune was believed to have been composed a very long time ago, and the identity of the composer and original title were unknown. 

Regardless of that, it was Jimmys tune. As a lasting tribute to him, they still play Jimmys version through the tannoy system at the end of all Dunfermline Football Club home games, win or lose. The young set cant work out why, and one of them asked the reason on their club forum. Some wag told them it was so that they would leave the ground quicker! 

http://dafc.info/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1709959&t=1709646

Scroll down to the post by General Zod, and youll see what I mean. Whistling Rufus by Jimmy was also played before every game at one time, and youll see that in there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back