• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Jazz Accordion Solos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim2010

Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a new accordion youtube channel—Jazz Accordion Solos— that consists of transcriptions of jazz accordion solos by artists such as George Shearing, Buster Moten, Art Van Damme, Alice Hall, Gus Viseur, Tommy Gumina, Pete Jolly, Johnny Meijer, Matt Mathews, and Frank Marocco. Yesterday, the first part of a five-part interview with Richard Galliano appeared. The site hosted by Julien Labro, who is quite an accomplished accordionist himself. Art Van Damme said this about him, "If the accordion world is looking for a new star… Julien Labro gets my vote!"

On the About page it says "Play along on our Soundslice channel..." I don't know how to do that, but maybe somebody else can tell us.

I started this post here in the Accordion Chat forum because I wasn't sure if it should be in The I Like That, Teaching & Learning, or Tunes & How to Play Them forums. The Solo Jazz Accordion YouTube channel I referenced could work in all of them. But for future reference, I think it should be in the Tunes How to Play Them/Jazz and Blues subsection. That is where people will most logically look for transcriptions like these. Is it possible to move this discussion to Tunes How to Play Them/Jazz and Blues subsection?

I started this post here in the Accordion Chat forum because I wasn't sure if it should be in The I Like That, Teaching & Learning, or Tunes & How to Play Them forums. The Solo Jazz Accordion YouTube channel I referenced could work in all of them. But for future reference, I think it should be in the Tunes How to Play Them/Jazz and Blues subsection. That is where people will most logically look for transcriptions like these. Is it possible to move this discussion to Tunes How to Play Them/Jazz and Blues subsection?
I don't think it matters which section you post in as they all come up in Bold script when a new post is made. I just click on all the dark blue ones and that way I don't miss any (hopefully) . Thanks anyway Jim ?

I was thinking more for the longer term. If a person decides on their own (ie not responding to someone else's post) that they want to look for instruction on how to play tunes they might use the search function to try to find a particular tune or browse one of the Tunes & How to Play Them sections. In either case, I don't think they will find the link to the Jazz Accordion Solos transcriptions. I'm sure that it is a holdover (or curse) from my long ago library work that I hope to make learning tools as easily accessable as possible, even though I know that it is an impossible hope.

There is a new accordion youtube channel—Jazz Accordion Solos— that consists of transcriptions of jazz accordion solos by artists such as ...Yesterday, the first part of a five-part interview with Richard Galliano appeared.
Thanks for the link. Can you point me at the first interview segment? I have only been able to spot segments 2, 3,4, and 5.
Doug

The marvelous Jazz Accordion Solo videos and interviews with jazz ?ists are produced (semi anonymously, possibly for copyright reasons?) by French-born accordionist/bandoneonist Julien Labro.

He began in Feb 2021 with short videos showing him performing (on C-system CBA) solos along with recordings of great jazz accordionists. The musical notation Labro produced for each solo is seen scrolling along behind the joint performances.

It's a history lesson to see these international players whose work has often long been unavailable, and several I'd never heard of. Great stuff, and Julien is an amazing player, reflecting the styles and techniques these quite different players had.

Recent videos have included video-chats with living jazz accordionists Richard Galliano and Gil Goldstein, which are insightful and a joy to see. Makes you wish we had interviews with all the other historical players featured. Labro has reached out to several of the other still-living players and hopefully we'll get to hear some of their stories too.

Some of the transcriptions are available as sheets on his site: http://julienlabro.com/music/jazz-accordion-solos/

He's got them available in different formats too like:

All the videos are available in order on youtube (and he's on Facebook too): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbTwGWrQQJ20odJ7Rpeljrg/videos

I've really enjoyed watching this project unfold, and very much recommend subscribing on whatever place you can. It's the most exciting jazz accordion history I know of, and I look forward to seeing where it will go. Hopefully it will continue in some form when we're able to play outside our houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back