• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Is that all plastic, not wood (Weltmeister Diana 120 Bass model)?

zqd9853572002

Reaction score
I found some pictures of one accordion (it is the Weltmeister Diana 120 Bass model), seems all is plastic and metal? Or I get it wrong?

-b434-470c-8d8e-440a798cb9d1?rule=kijijica-640-jpg.jpg-2c3e-41e1-97fe-ece185f6ac9f?rule=kijijica-640-jpg.jpg

These accordions indeed have all-plastic keys and all-plastic reed blocks.
But besides that... 1) it's a soft plastic to which the wax doesn't stick very well, so when you try to remove the reed blocks chances are that you bend the plastic just enough for reed plates to fall off, and 2) the piccolo reeds that sit on top of a reed block cannot be supported from below when you want to tune them. I once tried to do a maintenance and tuning job on one of these and it really was a nightmare. These accordions should be avoided if at all possible. Really, they are utter rubbish.

There's much plastic in top of the line photographic equipment, including lenses.
I used to scorn plastic spectacle lenses, but they are much lighter than glass
( comfort) and more robust!
My wife's Elna Lotus sewing machine had some plastic gear wheels (guaranteed 25 years). These, I admit, did eventually need replacement: steel is better!😀
Domestic water services ( in Australia) are almost exclusively of plastic piping.
The piping used to be of galvanised mild steel: this would usually rust out within 20 years, often much sooner.😄. My plastic piping is 40+ and still good.🙂

Last edited:
There's much plastic in top of the line photographic equipment, including lenses.
My wife's Elna Lotus sewing machine had some plastic gear wheels (guaranteed 25 years). These, I admit, did eventually need replacement: steel is better!😀
Domestic water services ( in Australia) are almost exclusively of plastic piping.
The piping used to be of galvanised mild steel: this would usually rust out within 20 years, often much sooner.😄. My plastic piping is 40+ and still good.🙂
I've seen lenses with plastic bodies, but none with the actual optics made out of plastic... I guess it's possible as eyeglasses all have plastic lenses now. Still seems wrong somehow!

These accordions indeed have all-plastic keys and all-plastic reed blocks.
But besides that... 1) it's a soft plastic to which the wax doesn't stick very well, so when you try to remove the reed blocks chances are that you bend the plastic just enough for reed plates to fall off, and 2) the piccolo reeds that sit on top of a reed block cannot be supported from below when you want to tune them. I once tried to do a maintenance and tuning job on one of these and it really was a nightmare. These accordions should be avoided if at all possible. Really, they are utter rubbish.
Oh wow, thank you for the suggestion, I think I will have a try, just test the sound as it is also a new thing for me, I never had a chance to hear the sound on the soft plastic, not sure if its sound like a plastic toy, lolol. At the same time, I guess the wood is the also key point for the accordion sound?

All-plastic keys are not uncommon. (Hohner).
I've seen, worked on the plastic blocks but don't recall the smaller, nailed reeds.
Plastic has made advances everywhere; I used to scorn plastic doors and windows.
True....actually I cannot imagine the accordion is made with plastic....but as it is there, trust it is accepted by some people in the market, let me have try and hear if it is good as the traditional one

hahaha, just have no idea if they are ok on the instrument, anyway we don't hear the sound gear/ piping all time, lololol :p

Agreed, but just because it is the plastic, not sure the sound is like a plastic toy...I will try it
These accordions do not sound all that bad. The problem with the accordions is that the wax does not hold the reed plates firmly attached to the blocks, so reed plates may fall off. These accordions are a repairer's nightmare! But as long as everything is still ok and the accordion is not subjected to any shocks it can be use for a long time and give the owner much pleasure...
The body of the accordion is normal wood, not plastic, by the way...

These accordions do not sound all that bad. The problem with the accordions is that the wax does not hold the reed plates firmly attached to the blocks, so reed plates may fall off. These accordions are a repairer's nightmare! But as long as everything is still ok and the accordion is not subjected to any shocks it can be use for a long time and give the owner much pleasure...
The body of the accordion is normal wood, not plastic, by the way...
thank you a lot, yes, the body is the wood, so I think the sound generates through the reed, but will interact with the wood (the body part) and then come out, so wood is also an important part to affect the sound I guess..

One of my students has one of the older DDR-era Weltmeisters like that and it's a perfectly fine instrument for her situation. (In fact I think it might be a Diana, although with only three sets of reeds.) If the one you're looking at sounds okay and seems to be in reasonable condition, it's probably worth a shot.

But... not at $700. I think your instincts are right that that's not too great of a deal, and hopefully you can talk the seller down from that.

One of my students has one of the older DDR-era Weltmeisters like that and it's a perfectly fine instrument for her situation. (In fact I think it might be a Diana, although with only three sets of reeds.) If the one you're looking at sounds okay and seems to be in reasonable condition, it's probably worth a shot.

But... not at $700. I think your instincts are right that that's not too great of a deal, and hopefully you can talk the seller down from that.
Thank you Jeff, I will go there and try, actually I am also wondering if the sound will different...let me go there and see...

An update...

I went to try the "plastic" Weltmeister Diana 120 Bass model, and decide to give up to take it, here are my feeling:

Good things:
1. The accordion is much lighter than the wooden one, so it is good for someone who need to stand to play.

Bad things
1. The sound is just ok, but not as good as traditional wooden one, I am not sure if it caused by the tuning or other things or my feeling of just not love plastic (most likely, but as always in the previous posts, I don't have a good impression for plastic on the instrument), anyway, sound is just...emmm...ok

2. I didn't expect to have very strong plastic feeling for registers and keyboard (does that common for all Diana models or just this one?). This one let me feel and think I am playing the electronic keyboard, the rebound of keys are not good (I am not sure if it just need more adjustment), when my figure left the key, I didn't feel the key resumed and push my figure back (the feeling of the rebound). This also make me don't need to lot of pressure to hit the key (this might be a good thing for others, but for me it is not good, because I need to re-adapt to this new feeling).

Anyway, I give up this "plastic" accordion.

An update...

I went to try the "plastic" Weltmeister Diana 120 Bass model, and decide to give up to take it, here are my feeling:

Wise decision! The keys are all very lightweight plastic so they have no inertia from their weight. (Only the metal arms and pallets have weight.)
The soft plastic hollow reed blocks do very little in providing the "resonance" that gives accordions a more substantial sound than the reeds alone.
In general plastic is not by definition a bad material, but the way it is used in the Weltmeister (sparingly, using as little material as possible) is not the best way to use the plastic.

Wise decision! The keys are all very lightweight plastic so they have no inertia from their weight. (Only the metal arms and pallets have weight.)
It's my understanding of physics that accordion manufacturers have worked to reduce the size (and weight) of piano accordion keys. The modern instruments have keys much smaller (and lighter) than those from a pre-war period. This change is simply to reduce the inertia of the key action and make it faster and lighter for the player. It's a fundamental difference in the actions of piano keyboards and button keyboards.

Back