• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Iorio Syntara II is which SEM model

Ben-jammin

Yachtsman with a well stocked bar
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have an SEM model 500 that I bought with a cheesy engraved monarch nameplate on it with a “midi” model name. It uses the Elkas midi 2 board which I have schematics for and have been able to fix and build a power supply for. I recently purchased on eBay an Iorio Syntara II which looks to be the same but saw Liberty bellows had one listed as 4/4 while my monarch SEM model 500 has 4/5. While I’m waiting for my Iorio to arrive I was curious if the Syntara II corresponded to a particular SEM model number and if they have published specs? For the price, irregardless of the specs I think I’ll be happy but I’m curious.

Last edited:
I have an SEM model 500 that I bought with a cheesy engraved monarch nameplate on it with a “midi” model name. It uses the Elkas midi 2 board which I have schematics for and have been able to fix and build a power supply for. I recently purchased on eBay an Iorio Syntara II which looks to be the same but saw Liberty bellows had one listed as 4/4 while my monarch SEM model 500 has 4/5. While I’m waiting for my Iorio to arrive I was curious if the Syntara II corresponded to a particular SEM model number and if they have published specs? For the price, irregardless of the specs I think I’ll be happy but I’m curious.
I doubt they made more than one model. I would guess that it's really 4/5. Let me know if that happens.

In the past I've worked on a few 4/5 models and have never come across a 4/4. But of course I have come across many
variations in accordion models by date in the past .

Last edited:
I seem to recall seeing a document online that had model information for SEM midi accordions from that era. 500 was the basic 4/5 and there were 501 and 502 versions that had hand made reeds or/and tone chambers. But I couldn’t find that document since.

In the past I've worked on a few 4/5 models and have never come across a 4/4. But of course I have come across many
variations in accordion models by date in the past .
I owned this model (a long time ago) and I would be very surprised if there is more than one option.

The Syntara 2 arrived yesterday. It is 4/5 with what appears the same type (quality) of reeds as in my SEM model 500 (good efficient factory quality reeds). There are some differences that are pretty minor that would be hard to notice unless you are actually playing them back to back.

I had to do some work to stop some stuck on notes but it works well acoustically now.

I have talked with a store that sells Iorio midi firing cables and they said this unit originally used a 7 pin cable (it now has an 8 pin cable which appears to match the description of a music tech cable). Guessing the 8 pin was retrofitted to use a music tech power supply a previous owner had available.

I did some research and saw music tech used an 8 pin plug design that is also used for ham radio microphones so I ordered a female plug to see if it will fit and if so my plan is to make an adapter cable to use the same power supply as my SEM 500.

My question is these accordions all appear to use the same elka midi 2 circuit for the midi but my Monarch SEM500 uses a standard 5 pin midi connector (with 5 volts on pins not used in midi) while the Iorio Syntara 2 supposedly used a 7 pin. Does anyone know if the 7 pin was just to make it impossible to plug in incorrectly or was there actually a function the extra pins were to be used for such as expression pedal?

The 8 pin connector was a type used in ham radio microphones. I was able to figure out the pins and build a cable. They were just using 5 conductors, so same functionality as my 5 pin style on my SEM 500.

Back