• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Ice Cream Van Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirralaccordion

Reaction score
Given that ice cream vans play music that draw customers it follows that these tunes would also be useful for busking with an accordion. What tunes do ice cream vans use where you live? Do any ice cream manufacturers hold the sole rights to use particulat tunes? e.g. I understand that Mr Whippy in UK use Greensleeves but I don't think this can stop others using it.

I'm not sure this would work, Wirralaccordion ?
Our guy plays a cracked version of Greensleeves: enough to drive one crazy!?

when I was a youngster the Ice Cream Van tune was "pop eye the sailor man"...........................

Something like green sleeves is just an old folk tune so no copyright. Same would apply to pretty much most traditional tunes, eg Irish stuff, shanties, folk tunes etc.
where I am the ice cream trucks plays some warbling ‘melody’ of unknown origin that one might barely call music. I doubt I’d want to play it as part of a set though ?

I'm not sure people come for the tunes. They might come for the ice cream. :9

Given that ice cream vans play music that draw customers it follows that these tunes would also be useful for busking with an accordion. What tunes do ice cream vans use where you live? Do any ice cream manufacturers hold the sole rights to use particulat tunes? e.g. I understand that Mr Whippy in UK use Greensleeves but I don't think this can stop others using it.

Greensleeves, and I would assume most (all?) other ice cream truck songs are public domain. The ice cream people don't want to pay royalties any more than you do. :)

Interestingly, here in the States most ice cream trucks play the same songs everywhere, because there's one company--Nichols Electronics--that has the monopoly on selling the little electronic devices that make the music. Apparently over 95% of ice cream trucks have one of their music boxes on board.

You can view a representative list of the tunes included on their website.

That said, I'm with the group in questioning your underlying premise. Ice cream truck music gets people's attention because they associate it with ice cream trucks, in the same way we associate sirens with emergency vehicles. That doesn't mean we necessarily enjoy the sound of either. :)

Michael Hearst got sick of local ice-cream truck music so he made an album of alternatives. Now apparently used by 50 trucks in several places! I don't know if he's been asked to share sheet music.

He plays accordion, theremin and the wacky Hohner Clavolina (pan-pipe/inside-out-melodica) in his various projects. I think he got his clavolina, and met his One Ring Zero bandmate accordionist Joshua Camp, while both worked at the Hohner facility in Virginia.

One of the traditional ice cream truck songs in the States is "Turkey in the Straw," which regularly shocks people when they get curious and find it was popularized with baldly racist minstrel show lyrics. The roots of American popular music lie in the minstrel repertoire, so it's often just beneath the surface, and I support looking at that history and at alternatives.

i think i have heard "cardinal of venice" recently on an ice cream van.
aparently this business is run on a "dont u dare compete with me" basis and that is putting it mildly
godgie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back