• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hymn to Freedom...(Oscar Peterson)

Great Stuff - you can't beat Oscar Peterson.

There are two volumes of "Oscar Peterson Jazz Exercises and Pieces for the Young Organist" which are well worth a look for accordionists!

I have a pdf of Oscar Peterson studies somewhere lost in the pile of 'must study later shizz' but can't seem to place at moment... awesome feel to his playing ...even if he just plays two notes...
I read an interview where he said he played from 10pm till 4am with the band, then they rehearsed for 2 hours after the gig, he'd go home and sleep, get up and practice solo for 4hrs before the evening gig....knocking out a prolific amount of records in between....that's the way you get legend status ....HARD WORK...
On a side note sometimes I think I prefer Nat King Coles piano playing with his early trio....similar to OP but totally underestimated in the shadow of Oscars playing and Nats voice...

You have found a happy place in blues, jazz, gospel. Seems to me you just get it. Keep doing what you do - it works.

What could be next for losthobos? :unsure:

...North American "cultural enrichment" road trip! :D

You have found a happy place in blues, jazz, gospel. Seems to me you just get it. Keep doing what you do - it works.

What could be next for losthobos? :unsure:

...North American "cultural enrichment" road trip! :D
Yep, this is a place I feel I can breathe ....always knew it and had I stuck to piano keys I'd perhaps have arrived earlier ...but I bought a CBA off Emilio Allodi and spend time distracted by what should be played on said box (Piaf, musettes, tangos etc) before I found my way back to base... happy journey that bought me a better understanding of music....
As to American road trip ...never really appealed to me.....I'd feel like I was almost a century too late...🙂

I have a pdf of Oscar Peterson studies somewhere lost in the pile of 'must study later shizz' but can't seem to place at moment... awesome feel to his playing ...even if he just plays two notes...
I read an interview where he said he played from 10pm till 4am with the band, then they rehearsed for 2 hours after the gig, he'd go home and sleep, get up and practice solo for 4hrs before the evening gig....knocking out a prolific amount of records in between....that's the way you get legend status ....HARD WORK...
On a side note sometimes I think I prefer Nat King Coles piano playing with his early trio....similar to OP but totally underestimated in the shadow of Oscars playing and Nats voice...
Agreed. I once heard a recording of Nat King Cole playing solo piano, absolutely to my taste. Haven't found any Nat King Cole solo piano since despite searching high and low.

Yep, this is a place I feel I can breathe ....always knew it and had I stuck to piano keys I'd perhaps have arrived earlier ...but I bought a CBA off Emilio Allodi and spend time distracted by what should be played on said box (Piaf, musettes, tangos etc) before I found my way back to base... happy journey that bought me a better understanding of music....
As to American road trip ...never really appealed to me.....I'd feel like I was almost a century too late...🙂
Yeah, America has gone insane. I'd think about a road trip to a more civilized, safer country, maybe Ukraine?

Agreed. I once heard a recording of Nat King Cole playing solo piano, absolutely to my taste. Haven't found any Nat King Cole solo piano since despite searching high and low.
If you search Nat King Cole Trio you'll find what you're searching...I have a couple of old albums....just instrumentals....one cover note suggests the trio were playing a club and the manager came over and said 'Mr Xxx would like you to sing xxxx', Nat replied 'i don't sing' to which the manager replied 'if Mr Xxx wants you to sing then you sing or you don't have a job here'....rest is history...
Ploughed all his money into a TV show and said he did it as he was the only black artist on TV and wanted to make a presence in difficult times...

If you search Nat King Cole Trio you'll find what you're searching...I have a couple of old albums....just instrumentals....one cover note suggests the trio were playing a club and the manager came over and said 'Mr Xxx would like you to sing xxxx', Nat replied 'i don't sing' to which the manager replied 'if Mr Xxx wants you to sing then you sing or you don't have a job here'....rest is history...
Ploughed all his money into a TV show and said he did it as he was the only black artist on TV and wanted to make a presence in difficult times...
Thanks for the heads up Terry,
Please could you give me the titles of the old albums that you actually own that are just instrumentals as there are lots of Nat King Cole trio CDs and vinyls to choose from on Amazon and they don't give these details.
Cheers
Phil

I believe back in the olden days some concertinas had a 'birdsong' sound function to accompany the player.

When you said it was a C system button accordion @losthobos, I didn't realise that 'C' stood for Canary. Kinda makes sense now... I assume 'B' system requires budgie ownership. :unsure:

C for Canny....he knows more choruses than I do for sure....

Back