• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

HOW TO PRACTICE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was taught by learning only a small section of a piece at a time, perhaps only a half-page, before moving on—which obviously means a lot of repetition. Second, I would play slowly—I mean super-slowly, like in ridiculous slow-motion—the emphasis being on striking the correct keys, not timing or rhythm yet. The reason for this is muscle memory: if you repeatedly make the same mistakes in the same areas, you are learning, indeed you are effectively “practicing” the mistakes, which I find is very counterproductive.

There is no law saying you can’t perfect pieces to your heart’s content after a teacher has decided you’ve gotten from it whats needed from them.

Sure, it simply depends on how much time you'd need to perfect 1 piece. This is about the time with your teacher, unless I understand it incorrectly? Nothing is stopping you from perfecting the piece in your "own" time.

When I started taking accordion lessons, my first teacher would have me sometimes move on to another piece before I mastered it, at least "mastering it" in my thinking. I think it was to get over a "hump" of learning....your teacher stated "stepping stones." These steps were both for me, and the teacher, in order to see how I progressed. Sometimes with a little harder piece, e.g. one that had RH trills in it, I would be on that a little longer. Eventually the fingers synced and worked it out. Lots of different things kind of controlled how long a piece stayed on my weekly music stand.

Would your teacher be willing, if you asked, to continue on a piece you really wanted to master? Seems like that makes sense, especially from your learning need to pull it more together.

I remember one other thing that actually was a little sad for me to see. But I realize now it was practical, and did need to happen. One of the new students just starting like me, had a "conference" with his teacher and parents and music center owner. The result was that the teacher's recommendation was that the student was not grasping how to play very well at all. The teacher suggested he "quit" the accordion. Tough stuff. I think in a way some parents may have be grateful rather than continuing to pay for lessons.

At the end of the day, you can always find a different teacher with whom you can more smoothly work with. We newbies, along with our parents, were told that also when we started out. A teacher change sometimes made a world of difference.
Thanks. Good Points, and some useful insight

Hi Folks:
Thank you all for your thoughts, comments, experiences, and suggestions.
I think all the content is helpful---not sure how, or if I can incorporate all the info,
but I'm trying. All useful, all applicable, all very interesting.
It's great to hear the experiences of those who have been around the block, so-to-speak--
I realize I have a lot to learn, and we all learn differently, but also the same.
Take care to all, play well, be well.
Thanks again.
CHICKERS

All very helpful information. A former teacher of mine told me to always keep three pieces on my stand. They may be at different levels of perfection,but keep it to three.
I studied with a teacher who insisted I play the same pieces for years! It got to the point that I had to quit because there was no way I could convince her otherwise. I think it’s useful to learn a piece as well as one can,but if you’re a beginner or low intermediate player,it is also helpful to become familiar with different pieces as in the beginning the geography of the instrument is the greatest challenge and you want to cover that well. I think after a few weeks of attentive practise,if we understand the piece and can express it nicely and cleanly,then it would be appropriate to move along. It’s been told to me many times,the same challenges will arise over and over again until we master them.

All very helpful information. A former teacher of mine told me to always keep three pieces on my stand. They may be at different levels of perfection,but keep it to three.
I studied with a teacher who insisted I play the same pieces for years! It got to the point that I had to quit because there was no way I could convince her otherwise. I think it’s useful to learn a piece as well as one can,but if you’re a beginner or low intermediate player,it is also helpful to become familiar with different pieces as in the beginning the geography of the instrument is the greatest challenge and you want to cover that well. I think after a few weeks of attentive practise,if we understand the piece and can express it nicely and cleanly,then it would be appropriate to move along. It’s been told to me many times,the same challenges will arise over and over again until we master them.
ALANS:
Thanks for your comments. I think you hit on several very valid points as to when to move on. No exact time, but when good effort, good practice routine, understanding and achievement is reached; it may be time to move on to another piece.
I appreciate the way in which you put those concepts forth.
Thanks again.
CHICKERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back