• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

How to develop a different style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy girl

Reaction score
I would like to try my hand at a bit of traditional French style music for a change.

Would the clarinet register be about right to create an authentic sound, & what sort of bass coupler is best?

Also, can members suggest where to find appropriate music? … Not too difficult; I want to enjoy, not struggle.

This is a new adventure for me & I look forward to reading your hints & tips.

Thank you.

Hi Happy Girl. The Sheila Lee Accordion blog has a playlists page that includes French as a category: https://shelialee.wordpress.com/play-lists/
I have found most of her arrangements relatively easy to play and enjoyable. I don't know how deeply traditional they are--some might be more what people think of as French--kind of like That's Amore being thought of as "Italian," but you might find something in there that fits what you're seeking. I think you would want a musette setting--at least MM (two middle reeds) for an "authentic" sound (and MMM is probably even better). But I use the MM register on the few French songs I know and think it sounds good. Lots of folks here with more experience than I will probably have even better ideas. Good luck on your aventure française!

thank you Olivigus, how lovely. I will certainly scrutinize the Sheila Lee blog with relish. I am sure that is just what I am looking for; a good start to a new undertaking.

You may also want to try, Accordion Sheet Music by, Don Quattrocchi. ( donquattrocchi.com/sheetmusic.html ) If there is a red small bar next to a song title, there is a demo of that song. Very helpful for me. Good Luck

Yes! I found the Don Quattrocci site as well, and have found it to be a great source for arrangements that are not too difficult to play but still sound quite satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back