• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

How much wax do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Reaction score
I have a Hohner Camillo III. It is a product of the 1950s. Most of the treble side reeds are out of tune, (but the bass side seems ok.) I am considering removing the reed plates, clean the reeds and likely re-tune them.

To re-wax them, all the three treble blocks, how much wax do I need to buy (or prepare by myself)? I see reed wax bars sold on eBay. They are sold by the gramme.

Thank you!

James

When I started tuning and repairing accordions I bought a 1kg block of wax and this will probably last me a lifetime.

debra said:
When I started tuning and repairing accordions I bought a 1kg block of wax and this will probably last me a lifetime.

Great, Debra, considering how old I am now, I know how much to buy now. :ch

How many bass is the Camillo III?[/quote]
No,, Soulsaver. I am Canadian. Very good and helpful video, though!

There are three blocks in the bass (or two and a half). The bass end seems good to me. I will see after I have done the treble end, perhaps.

Attachments

• IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,018
James said:
There are three blocks in the bass (or two and a half). The bass end seems good to me. I will see after I have done the treble end, perhaps.
Very interesting to see that metal bracket that helps to prevent the valves from getting caught in the bellows. First accordion I have seen with this feature. (I have seen several where the valves were bent seriously out of shape from having been caught in the bellows...)

James said:
Very interesting to see that metal bracket that helps to prevent the valves from getting caught in the bellows. First accordion I have seen with this feature. (I have seen several where the valves were bent seriously out of shape from having been caught in the bellows...)[/quote]

Yes, Paul. Thats a good idea. This is a very tight box, at this age, only some of the reeds out of tunes. Thats why I think its worth some work.

James said:
I have a Hohner Camillo III. It is a product of the 1950s. Most of the treble side reeds are out of tune, (but the bass side seems ok.) I am considering removing the reed plates, clean the reeds and likely re-tune them.

To re-wax them, all the three treble blocks, how much wax do I need to buy (or prepare by myself)? I see reed wax bars sold on eBay. They are sold by the gramme.

Thank you!

James

28-30 grams(1oz)+/- per reed block but will vary with the number of reeds on the block and one`s method of waxing.I think that`s conservative .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back